• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help!

idahocuttle

Cuttlefish
Registered
I have a Common Brown as well as a number of cuttles, but heres the problem George (my Brown) stopped eating so trying to figure out why..........turns out Hes a Georgette, and i have about a million eggs! How do i rear them how do i filter? Should i move them to a seperate tank? Could somebody give me the basic set up for baby octos?

Ok well you should first find out if these are small or large eggs. Brown octopus really isnt helpful as there are about 150 different octopuses... probably more. Can you please post pictures so that we may identify your octopus species? If you have small eggs (about the size of a grain of rice I believe but dont hold me to that as I cant remember) then they arent really viable. The food needed to raise them and in the right order is unknown. The longest anyone has kept small egged octos alive is 21 days and thats a wonderful effort on their part.

Now if its a large egged species then with proper care they can be viable. One of the members DWhatley is currently raising 2 tank born octopuses and she will be VERY helpful in your endeavor.

Here are the links to the babies thread...

http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?20568-Kooah-s-Hatchlings-O.briareus

Good luck oh and :welcome: to TONMO.

Read some journals in this section. Unfortunately, raising from eggs is very difficult, and if it's a small-egged species it's almost impossible to raise in the home aquarium. :sad: I'm sure later on in the night somebody will provide more information. :roll:

:welcome: to TONMO
Common Brown
as sabrina mentioned that doent mean much, its kinda like saying I have a white car. Do you know where the octopus was original caught? Florida/caribbean, Pacific Cali/Mex, and Indonesia are the common places they caught.

stopped eating so trying to figure out why..........turns out Hes a Georgette, and i have about a million eggs!

Unfortunately once they lay eggs they stop eating and she will die shortly after the eggs hatch.

As Sabrina and Alex mentioned If it is a small egged species then rearing them in near impossible, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try! Who knows you may be the one person that gets it right. Small eggs are about the size of a grain of rice and large eggs are about the size of a Pea, or a blueberry.

Should i move them to a seperate tank?
the eggs, no, mom needs to care for them until they hatch.

One of the members DWhatley is currently raising 2 tank born octopuses and she will be VERY helpful in your endeavor.

Not when everyone else posts all the pertinent information :wink:

Starting with some photos of the mother octo will be the best way we may be able to offer more.

Great thanks for the info< ill try to snap some photos but wont be tomarrow when im at the shop. But can any one tell me what the gestation period is? i know they prob vary but maybe an idea?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back