• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help!!

Robinspa

Cuttlefish
Registered
Ok everything has been going great! I have had him for 6 months and he has easily tripled in size. He is about the size of my fist. I was an idiot and didn't know and fed him goldfish yesterday. he ate 4. Today he is staying on the glass and is a sick white color- he looks like he is stressed- breathing hard etc. Anything I can do for him? He isn't eating and I feel so badly that I may have killed him. I have a call into the NRCC (that's where I got him) but am just feeling awful. ANyone out htere? Thanks Pattye

What kind of octopus is it? How big is your aquarium? What kind of filtration do you have in the tank? Unfortunately, many fish stores treat their goldfish with copper-based medication - you may have poisoned your octopus. I would recommend a water change to see if that improves things.

Ok he is a bimac and is in 55 gal over spec with a filter system for a 100 gal tank. There is about 80lbs of live rock and the only other thing in the tank are the bristle worms that came with the rock last summer (when I first set up the tank) I checked with the pet store and they said they didn't treat them with copper though I realize that doesn't completely cover my bases. I thought of a water change but was worried it would stress him more. What do you think still a water change? The water quality is great no ammonia, low nitrates, spg 1024 and temp of 76.1 so appreciate your help. Pattye

Yep youre right I don't know about before the pet store. I did the water change. he has strings of mucous on his tentacles that are trapping small air bubbles The nitrates, nitrites and ammonia is all good

Bimacs are a cool water species.The habitat in which they are found is typically in the 65-70 degree ramge. They can tolerate slightly higher temperatures for short periods, but a sustained 76 is too high and will significantly shorten their life span. I would guess that the cause of death in this case was an ammonia spike coupled with osmotic stress - but that would just be a guess.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back