• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help with tank for cuttlefish!

So okay, I've got the tank, everything covered mostly.
I need suggestions on the best brand/type of filters, protein skimmers, heaters, etc to use in a tank for cuttlefish.

Dep. on how many you wish to keep... a 40 breeder is probably about the smallest tank for a pair of dwarf cuttlefish.
Are you planning on having a sump? If so, skimmer options are many, if not you can use an Aqua-C Remora (hang on back) with the optional surface skimming box.
You realize a new tank set up will have to cycle and become biologically stable before you add livestock, correct?

Please tell us about your SW aquarium keeping experience. The answer to most of your questions will be found here, but you have to be willing to do some research on your own, at least at start / beginning.
When you mention "filters" I am just curious of your experience as filters aren't really used in SW per-say.

I have eggs, but if your tank has not been cycled I doubt you will catch this round of eggs, but there are usually more to be found.

Also, Be sure to be prepared to feed these little buggers. Have you a source for live mysids and live amphipods?

I have plenty of expierence with reefs. And I know that you have to let it cycle which is why I was wondering because I'd like to let it mature so that I can buy the eggs. Someone told me along with skimmers that you'd need a filter so that's why I asked...
I have no expierence with cuttlefish that's why I was wanting suggestions.

Yea I have a source for those. I just want to make sure I have the best that I can get for them tank wise ;___;

Good you have reef experience! It sounds like you are covering your bases and getting prepared, so I'm sure you will be successful. Feeding them during the first month seems to take up the most effort, but then I lost a baby in a sump for 6 weeks and it was fine.
You can start them in a net breeder or small tank in your larger system to keep the foods concentrated with them.
My first attempt here:
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?19080

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back