Help with Identification

ArsnikOne

Hatchling
Registered
Hello, I am new not only to Tonmo, but to Octos in general. I have read alot here on Tonmo and have learned a great deal. I keep other reef tanks and have contimplated setting up an octo tank for some time. I finally did so a few months back, and recently purchased my first octo at a local LFS. They did not know it's details. I now realize that it was a bad thing to purchase an octo without knowledge of it's species, hence no idea what size it will grow or if it has much life left in it at all...

He seems very healthy. I have had him in the tank now for over two weeks. He ate the very first night I had him... He has since eaten one live shrimp (3"-4")
each night and a crab every third night or so. His mantle is a bit smaller than a golf ball and his tentacles are approximately 6"-8". He changes colors from a deep blood red, to various shades of browns, even to sand white with teal blue dots. He also always seems to have a neon green tint to him... I have named him Doc Oc. Probably a played out name, but I dig it!

I have done some research, and based on his appearance and the location in which he was collected (Caribbean), I believe him to be a O. Briareus

However, as I am no expert, I was hoping I could get a second opinion.
I have attached a couple pics, take a look and let me know.

Greatly Appreciated,

Justin

Attachments

• conv_303161.jpg
    conv_303161.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 78
  • conv_303162.jpg
    conv_303162.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 82
Here is a few pics of the lil guy, my 4 yr old son named him hitch because he was a stowaway in live rock at a local Pet store.

Attachments

• conv_292004.jpg
    conv_292004.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 75
  • conv_292005.jpg
    conv_292005.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 62
  • conv_292006.jpg
    conv_292006.jpg
    624.8 KB · Views: 61
  • conv_292007.jpg
    conv_292007.jpg
    804.6 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
I tried to go to that cephbase.org site, but it does not download. Must be problems with their site. Really would like to know what species he is.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back