Help with finding tank...

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Lukestimp, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Lukestimp

Lukestimp Larval Mass Registered

I found the perfect Tank for the set-up I'm planning but need some Help. The tank is sold at Petsmart so it's a Topfin/Perfecto whoever they are now... Anyways, it's a 56 Gallon Coulum and it's something like 18" x 30" x ?h. The problem is they only sell this tank with a Nice Burlwood stand and the combo costs $300, and the stand is basoically worthless for holding a sump and what not, but I just can't find this size tank anywhere else.

So do you guys have any ideas? I've even thought about just making a Plywood tank this size, but I'm not sure it's really that economical..

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Have you checked Craigslist? Better yet, go here: http://atlanta-smas.org/ visit the forums, introduce yourself, and I bet you'll find a good deal on some decent used stuff for cheap from a member who knows how to take care of their stuff.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Darn! The last meeting was up my way and I have been meaning to check them out. Unfortunately, the date posted was June and not July :sad: but thanks for the link and I will make myself a note to check it.

In spite of some of the negative sides to eBay, I am an avid (rabid?) participant. You can set up a search that includes a distance from your home town. This is how we found Octane's new tank (still not completed but getting closer)

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/8759/#post-117776

4. chaostheory

chaostheory O. bimaculoides Registered

I just got mine from craigslist, came with stand and lights for about $85. Getting ready for an octopus.

5. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

petco's $ a gallon sale is coming up in September, wait untill then to buy your tank if your going to get it from them

6. chaostheory

chaostheory O. bimaculoides Registered

You might also be able to buy a used tank at your LFS. My mom got a 75 gal that they had used for a day on display at the mall. Pretty decent. Now that tank is a not doing so great because it has been so long (5 years).