• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help! What food for new hatched squid

from: Jaruwat Nabhitabhata and Jitima Suwanamala (2008). Reproductive behaviour and cross-mating of two closely related pygmy squids Idiosepius biserialis and Idiosepius thailandicus (Cephalopoda: Idiosepiidae). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the UK, 88, pp 987-993. doi:10.1017/S0025315408001616"

"Hatchlings were fed on mysis of Mesopodopsis
orientalis, Artemia nauplii, zoea larvae of the blue swimming
crab, Portunus pelagicus and wild marine copepods"

I'm not sure how well that would work for the animals you have, but it's worth a try!

I wish there was a way to get even frozen crab larvae, it has been the most successful food (live) for the few instances of feeding pelagic octopus hatchlings.

So am trying to type this up for the 3rd time, it keeps deleting the post when I go to post it...

We put 3 squid into a tank of 20/04/13 and by 21/04/13 we had a batch of eggs on the side of the tank... They ended up being 2 males and 1 female.

Our first baby squid hatched 11.30pm 30/04/12 within half an hour we had 8 and by 5.30am we had 19. We did lose 4 in the filter (filter for baby fish) before we decided to put a pair of pantyhose over the filter to stop any more getting sucked in. Today's (02/05/13) count is 18. We still have 4 more batches in our tank to hatch and we gave the Marine Department of James Cook University a batch as well that will hopefully hatch for them.

All of the adults have now died and we are left with the babies in the tank along with some barnacles on a shell and some tiny tiny creatures living in or on the same shell...

We have been unable to find any live food and waiting on some brine shrimp to hatch although when you put a microscope to the side of the tank, the wall is crawling with minute white creatures and there seems to be plankton in the water. We collect water from the same location we found them and do a water change every 2 or 3 days (once a week it is 40% the other times are lesser amount).

They seem to be surviving fine although it is only early days.....

I have no clue why the posts would have been deleted. Sometimes the software will hide a post if it thinks the post needs approval but there are no unapproved posts.

If you have access to ocean water, you might try a plankton tow with a fine net as well as changing smaller amounts of water daily to keep pelagic critters in the system. With octopus hatchlings, I found large water changes to have a negative affect on survival.

Photos would be great!!! :biggrin2:

I added a link to the album in the above post but wanted to put a couple of the pictures here :biggrin2: but it appears only the links will display with this attempt :sad:

eggs 02/05/13

Hatchlings

One of the small animals in the sea water.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks for the suggestions of the plankton tow, will try that.

When I click on the "16 photos in an album" it does link to the pics; or is that just cause they are my pics. Thanks for your help with sharing the pics also.

The links seem to work just fine but I wanted to put four of them directly in the post, especially the one where you have what may be an isopod (not sure, very uneducated guess) so that others would see at least some of the pictures just viewing the posts. I had not tried attaching from a gallery (vs a direct upload to the post) before now. I will try it differently for the one picture to see if someone can ID the critter. My concern is that isopods can be aggressive but this may be something else entirely. How big is it compared to the squid?

This little critter is about the same size as the new babies ... I saw one of the babies going for it b ut it was too fast and got away....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back