help to id the octopus :) | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

help to id the octopus :)

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
I went to my local yesterday and asked if he could get octopuses, he said that it was not any problem but he could not tell what kind it was. The only things i know is that it comes frome thailand and that they name it as Brown octopus.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Brown octopus...well that is what everyone calls them when they have no idea what it is...I think almost all octopuses show a brown as part of their coloration. There is really no way to tell without a picture there are lots of octopus species. Coming from that part of the world they are often A.aculeatus but it is impossible to guess accurately. Get some pics if you can.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
The biggest concern about a unknown octopus from Thailand would be that you would get a species of the poisonous blue-ring octopus. Can you get your pet store to exclude this species and can you refuse to pay for it if this is what comes in from the importers?

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
The store wont buy or import any blu rings at all so that is not to worry about, and even if it would come one by misstake i can refuse to buy it.

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hi again today i asked another lfs if they importet octopuses and yes they did! :biggrin2: but the best part is that they can even get octopus eggs.

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
No one buys Octopus eggs, they are of a frail quality, hung from the den's ceiling and carefully kept clean and oxygenated by the caring Octopus mother, not left out in the open like cuttle eggs, that are tough and resilient to shipping. So, yes, Roy is right :wink:

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
There could also be a language issue since DJKaty mentioned that the Norwegians do not differentiate between cephalopods.

bläckis

O. vulgaris
Registered
okey did not know that, anyway they said it was possible but mabye I misunderstod them perhaps they ment that is was possible to order allready hatch babies, but if thats even possible do they ship well?

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
In nature not many hatchlings survive a brood so a new hatchling has a low chance of survival. It would be better to get one that is at least 2 months old in my opinion.

Members online

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards