• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help the Newb

raleighbags

Hatchling
Registered
hey everybody. I've been wanting to get my own aquarium and get an octopus for it. I've done some research, but I'd definitely like some advice from some people who know what they are doin' haha. What size tank should i invest in? I was looking at getting a reef octopus. Would that be a good choice for someone who is just starting out, or should I go with another octopus? I'm still pretty much in the dark on all this stuff and could really use some advice on setting all this stuff up. Thanks

:welcome: to TONMO!

The best place to start is to read the ceph care articles under the big ARTICLES button at the top of the page, they'll give you a good overview. We recommend a large tank, 55-75gal, for the best pet octos. Most of the articles are from the days when bimacs were common, but almost all applies to octos in general, except that the reef octo (briareus), hummelincki, and aculeatus never need a chiller, while it may be helpful for bimacs.

Welcome to TONMO. Like Monty said, the best place to start is with the articles. Then maybe do some reading in the Journals and Photos forum to get an idea of what you're getting into.

I have a Caribbean Reef Octopus. You can read its journal here: Kalypso (O.briareus)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back