HELP..PROBLEM WITH BIMAC

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by davidpallison, Oct 29, 2003.

1. davidpallison

davidpallison Larval Mass Registered

OK IVE HAD FORAWHILE AND FOR THE PAST 2 WEEKS OR MORE HE/SHE HASENT EATIN A SINGLE THING...ALL IT DOES IS SIT IN THIS PIECE OF LIVEROCK THAT HAD A NICE HOLE IN IT WITH ONLY ONE WAY IN...COULD IT HAVE LAID EGGS? IT HASNT COME OUT OF THE HOLE SO I CANT TELL WHATS GOING ON

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi David,

Welcome to TONMO.com!

First of all, some questions - how big is your bimac? If a bimac is laying eggs, it's going to be fairly large.

If your bimac is smaller, perhaps it's finding food in the live rock, such as amphipods. Also, are you sure it's a bimac and not a nocturnal species?

What are you offering in the way of food? Have you tried live crabs or shrimp?

Tell us a bit more, so we'll be able to give more specific answers.

Nancy

3. davidpallison

it is kinda big...and it was eating like crazy then stopped..i tried live dead nothing

4. Nancy

Hi David,

If you have an adult bimac and if it's stopped eating and won't come out, it's possible that it's laid eggs. Also, the eggs may be fertile.

When you say it's big, do you mean a mantle or body size at least 5 or 6 inches long?

It's also possible that your bimac may eat somthing still - I think you're just going to have to wait and see.

Are all your water parameters good?

Nancy

5. o.vulgaris

o.vulgaris Vampyroteuthis Registered

ceph's that ere conditioned to a new lifestyle and environment stop eating for a while because it's instict for them to decline new and unkown sources of food, i.g. my bobtail didn't eat nothing for five day's when I got him until he got used to it and started coming out of hideout. :)
    It will all work out.

6. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Well, David said he has had the bimac for quite awhile so I don't think thats the case. Sesenence is the most likely, the bimac could also be a male and is dying. :(

7. davidpallison

SORRY FOR TAKING SO LONG...WELL I DONT KNOW ACTUAL SIZE OF MABTLE CAUSE HE HASNT COME OUT IN AWHILE AND I DID KINDA GET WHEN IT WAS BIG...IT JUST SITS THERE AND STARES AND BOBS UP AND DOWN ALITTLE. HMMMM WISH IT WOULD COME OUT FOR ONE SECOND SO I COULD LOOK TO SEE WHATS GOING ON

8. Nancy

This may be the head bobbing that we've observed with a couple of other bimacs. It seems to be a kind of greeting - try bobbing your head back.

Nancy