Help please! =)

:welcome: RadiOlette!

From the webbing and color I would guess Octopus briareus. You can see more of them by looking at the species and clicking on the links in List of Our Octopuses 20xx located near the top of the octopus care forum but Here is one of my favorite series of pictures of this species. It is the largest we typically keep in a home aquarium and very common in the Caribbean.

I've only seen one octopus (O. hummelincki, snorkeing in St. Maartin) in situ and only a very few vulgaris in members photos and aquariums but I have never seen one with a web that deep (trade mark of O. briareus but there are others with deep webbing) nor have I seen vulgaris display white (also the eyes are not prominant and the at rest mantle is round vs oblong but I don't know of a clear color distinction around the eyes) . The only reason I hesitate on the O. briareus call is the deep brown around the suckers. I don't recall any of mine nor any in member's photos displaying this kind of deep brown sucker coloration (the suckers are usually white, often with pinkish rims and pink along the arms. The eyes also look odd for O.briareus but this may just be photo angle. The veined pattern would be typical as is the new growth on a front arm :hmm:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back