• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

help please - cuttlefish breeding questions

cal2

Hatchling
Registered
i am interested in starting to breed the cuttlefish s.bandensis, but i am wondering if it is better to a)divide up a large tank (100ga)and keep m+f pairs, or b)have a few tanks of small breeding colonies of 8, each tank about 100g too, and let them breed naturally. if b) then what should the m:f ratio be so they wuldnt fight plz?
thanks

Actually it is best to start reading the articles at the top of the page. I would say that since this is a subject that may be interesting to many members, it should stay in the forums and not be private messaged. When I have a moment, I will try to answer some of your questions. Also, some of our members have a lot of experience with cuttlefish, yet they are not staff. It is a busy time of year for most people, so it may be a little bit before your questions are answered.

I would suggest breeding them in small populations rather than pairings. You will allow them a more natural environment which should produce competition and perhaps better offspring. As for the perfect ratio afterwards, it really depends on the generation of cuttlefish you have and how much space you afford them. There is no perfect setup for that.

Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back