• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

HELP! octopus layed eggs!

AD2U

Blue Ring
Registered
My octo layed eggs today. What do i do? How long does it take for them to hatch, or will they hatch? What can i do? She is protecting them. There is nothing in the tank that can eat them. HELP!

There's nothing to worry about and nothing to particully do, especially if your octopus laid small eggs. You can watch them and give us an update. Usually they take 4-6 weeks to hatch. You can continue offering the mother food - she may or may not accept it, or will eat only at times.

You can't hope to raise the little small-egg hatchlings, but you could try if your octo turns out to be a species that lays large eggs. You thought she was a vulgaris, which is a small-egg species.

Unfortunately, your octopus will not live long afterwards.

Nancy

Nancy;101116 said:
There's nothing to worry about and nothing you really have to do, especially if your octopus laid small eggs. You can watch them and give us an update. Usually they take 4-6 weeks to hatch. You can continue offering the mother food - she may or may not accept it, or will eat only at times.

You can't hope to raise the little small-egg hatchlings, but you could try if your octo turns out to be a species that lays large eggs. You thought she was a vulgaris, which is a small-egg species.

Unfortunately, your octopus will not live long afterwards.

Nancy
They are small eggs. I loved this octo to. She's awesome. :cry: Thanks.

Yes, it's a sad time for an octopus owner - and I think most of us do get attached to our octopuses. Just take of her, make her comfortable, and keep trying to offer food. Can you see her in her den?

Nancy

Nancy;101126 said:
Yes, it's a sad time for an octopus owner - and I think most of us do get attached to our octopuses. Just take of her, make her comfortable, and keep trying to offer food. Can you see her in her den?

Nancy
Yes, i can see her. She has been eating, but she stays close to her egg's.

this is why i will never breed octos...

but if you think about it, she will be joining her mate int he big tank in the sky :wink:

think of the bright side, she got to have babies, wich is every mothers dream, sometimes...and she will be seeing her mate soon. and you have new babies that will grow up to be just like there proud mommy :wink:

wait a minute...

i just read that near the end of there lives they can lay eggs. but unless your octo has been wiht a male before, it may be infertile eggs.

and, some octos will lay there eggs near the end of there life, so your octo may of already been near the end anyway.

and good news, some octos can live, if there lucky, a few weeks after the babies hatch.

of course i just read that in an article on here in 5 minutes when you guys have been doing this wya longer. but thats just what iread.

An octopus' life all leads up to reproduction (most animals do), and the subsequent end. It is the circle of life, if I may borrow an over used term. It may seem 'sad' but that is nature in all its glory. Life. Death. An octopus lays her eggs when she has the greatest fitness level and the highest energy levels, in order to properly tend the eggs for months at a time without eating.

Consider your self lucky that you are able to witness this event. This is nature at its finest, albeit in captivity, so enjoy every part of it (even the tough parts).

It is really no different than lampreys, pacific salmon, or certain marsupial mice. All evolved along a semelparous lines. Just great examples of adaptivity and diversity.

Greg:twocents:

AD,
Can you see the eggs well enough to gauge size (use a comparative, pin head, rice grain, snow pea ...) Also, can you count the number of eggs (100, 500, 1000). These are good clues as to whether or not you have a chance at raising some of the young. Generally speaking, the larger the egg and the fewer the number, the greater the chances of success. If they are fertile, and you can see them, you should start to see changes and little eyes develop (regardless of size or number). If you have a camera, photograph the eggs at least once a week and enlarge the pictures on the computer (then post them for the rest of us to enjoy).

dwhatley;101188 said:
AD,
Can you see the eggs well enough to gauge size (use a comparative, pin head, rice grain, snow pea ...) Also, can you count the number of eggs (100, 500, 1000). These are good clues as to whether or not you have a chance at raising some of the young. Generally speaking, the larger the egg and the fewer the number, the greater the chances of success. If they are fertile, and you can see them, you should start to see changes and little eyes develop (regardless of size or number). If you have a camera, photograph the eggs at least once a week and enlarge the pictures on the computer (then post them for the rest of us to enjoy).
They are the size of a small and i mean small piece of rice. There is about a few hundred eggs. When will i be abel to see the eyes in the eggs at how many weeks? I am going on week 2. She is eating great and protecting her eggs.

AD,
From your description, they are of the small egg variety so the best you can expect to do is to photo them once a week an watch for changes as a learning experience (you are more likely to see changes blowing up a photo than with the eye). From everything I have read (and explicit comments from Roy Caldwell in a previous thread) even the large aquariums equipped with experts have little luck trying to tank raise the small egg variety of octopuses.

I was successful in extending my Mercatoris' life by almost 3 months (at least I think I was partially responsible) by keeping her eating both during and after the hatching. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back