• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

HELP!!!! octo acclimation!!

PH is likely to be the most important match on parameters so I would remove a significant quantity of water and try to get a match first. You might want to try to bring you PH up over the next week as the recommended average should be about 8.4 (I use a buffer but others don't need to). What is the difference in your salt levels? Salt is less important but if you are mismatched on both then a large removal of water is in order.

Sorry, ok well I have him in the tank. After 52min he got out and swam up and now he is near the top. He seems rather stressed and I noticed that a few of his arms are chewed at the ends, but I don't know if that was from acclimating or if he was already like that...

dwhatley;143328 said:
I need to make a waiting for an answer smiley

pray.gif

kpage;143329 said:
Sorry, ok well I have him in the tank. After 52min he got out and swam up and now he is near the top. He seems rather stressed and I noticed that a few of his arms are chewed at the ends, but I don't know if that was from acclimating or if he was already like that...

Is your tank light on or off? I would just leave him be in the dark for now the poor little guy has probably been through hell. He will do his own thing.

Just take a deep breathe and rejoice in the fact that you have an OCTOPUS! then go start your journal :sagrin:

:welcome: little guy

They often come with arms missing or partially missing (three of SueNami's were completely gone up to the webbing). If you did not see bits of flesh in the water, it is unlikely it occured during acclimation (I don't know of a known case of this) but it could have occurred during shipping. When you can get a look at him without trying to make him move about, see if you see any little strings at the end of the truncated arms. It will look like something that remains from the injury and needs to be removed but will actually be new growth. If these are present, then the injury occurred several days ago, if there is no sign of regrowth than the damage is fresh. Don't make him more nervous by trying to see his arms though. What is is and we go from here.

Yes I am ecstatic!! I just want to make sure that he makes it! I do have the light off, I remember reading that the first day it should be off. He is right at the top and he's putting arm to the overflow box, I'm scared he'll climb in! I'm going to put mesh on the syphon tube tomorrow. If he would just go down in the LR I would be happy, but he's just not moving!

Well I woke up yesterday morning to find him dead. My first octo, I'm really sad. He wasn't in the best of shape, as I found out after I got a good look at him in my tank, the tips of his arms were all chewed up and I did find bits of flesh in the bag. Also he was corkscrewing his arms a lot.. I guess shipping was hard on him, and the pH lvl in the water he was shipped in was pretty low, around 7.6. I called live aquaria about it and they were pretty cool, I just don't know when they are going to get more in stock. :goodbye::angel:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back