Help? Nidamental Gland or Ovary or Something Else?

ggraeber

Hatchling
Registered
Hello Cephalopod lovers,

I teach marine science a the Dauphin Island Sea Lab in Alabama, USA. Presently, through my door I hear 2 of my collogues dissecting squid. My question is ... In all female squid, are the large thick white organs the nidamental glands, anterior to the egg mass, and egg mass the correct term for the gelatineous structure holding the eggs? If so, what is the reddish/pink organ/structure connected and associated, generally on the anterior end of the nidamental gland? Which of these organs is actually the ovary and are cephalopods the only animals which possess a nidamental gland? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
A fellow ocean geek,
Greg Graeber

:welcome: to TONMO! Sadly, I have no clue on your question, though...

ggraeber;89430 said:
Hello Cephalopod lovers,

I teach marine science a the Dauphin Island Sea Lab in Alabama, USA. Presently, through my door I hear 2 of my collogues dissecting squid. My question is ... In all female squid, are the large thick white organs the nidamental glands, anterior to the egg mass, and egg mass the correct term for the gelatineous structure holding the eggs? If so, what is the reddish/pink organ/structure connected and associated, generally on the anterior end of the nidamental gland? Which of these organs is actually the ovary and are cephalopods the only animals which possess a nidamental gland? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
A fellow ocean geek,
Greg Graeber

OK Here goes, The large gelatinous mass (or kinda feathery in an immature specimen) at the apex of the mantle is the ovary. Attached to that on either side is a sort of wavy meandering structure this is the oviduct, then there is a roundish gland attached to the end of the oviduct, this is the oviducal gland. The long white glands on top of all the viscera are the nidamental glands and in Loliginids (like the california market squid) there are smaller accessory nidamental glands attached to this. The reddish/pinkish structure is the digestive gland a hepato-renal gland essentially the sewerage works! I've attached a diagram and picture of Nototodarus sloanii an ommastrephid squid from NZ (that I work with) note: it has no accessory nidamental glands!

There is a downloadable online dissection guide at www.utmb.edu/nrcc/model.html
Cheers

Jean

Attachments

• conv_290369.doc
    276.5 KB · Views: 200
:cuttlehi: Greg!

Below is an image of a female Pholidoteuthis - sorry the head looks a little funky, it seems to have been twisted in the photo so that you can see the dorsal head surface but the ventral mantle cut (which is why the funnel retractors are twisted). In this species the accessory nidamentals are quite large, so you actually get four large white glands in there. Not sure what the situation is with your squid - is it Loligo? I'm not really much of an internal morphologist, so someone will probably come along and point out a grievous error on the diagram below...

Here's another more detailed illustration (but without the glands), and the Cephalopoda Glossary on the Tree of Life may also be helpful.

Not sure if anything else has nidamentals.

Attachments

• conv_290370.jpg
    conv_290370.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 2,004
Thanks a lot but...

Now I'm confused. I've been doing this for a while, but none of the specimens on those links look much like ours so I am trying to attach some shots. Any other help would be great! We get them frozen in 5 pound blocks from California, so I guess they are Liligo. Here they are (hopefully?) any ID of parts and Genus or Species of these would be awesome. Again thanks for the help!
Greg

Attachments

• conv_290371.jpg
    conv_290371.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 901
  • conv_290372.jpg
    conv_290372.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 375
.....ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Kat, where did you get that Pholidoteuthis pic from? Accessory nidamental glands? Perhaps I am getting old and forgetful, but if those truly are accessory glands then I'm inclined to believe this brute deposits eggs of some sort to the sea bed.

I don't recall ever having seen them before on Pholidoteuthis, would be very surprised if it had them, and wonder whether they are some other structure (oviduccal gland?; distended distal portion of oviduct?).

I have a similar question. I'm trying to sort out the reproductive structures in Gonatids and..although it may seem silly......I'm having trouble determining what structure I'm looking at. It is purplish and solid (I preserved the specimen a few days ago) at the base of the mantle, but there is no evidence of eggs. I'm pretty sure this is a juvenile based on size (may be a small adult - there are no tentacles to look for hooks) so would ovaries even be developed? I'm guessing its female since I couldn't see any male structures but could be wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

Purplish and solid? Hmmmm. The only other structures inside the viscera that are non reproductive that are likely to be this colour are: the digestive gland, OR the stomach caecum (or stomach), OR the spiral caecum.

It is more likely to be the digestive gland if it is solid.

I managed to locate both the stomach and the digestive gland (its pretty hard to miss - they're huge in Gonatids) and the caecum I believe was behind this structure (a large blind sac coming off of the digestive tract just after the stomach)....that's why I was thinking reproductive organs

Sorry that it has taken so long to post these pictures.

The first picture is of the 'purple' structure and the second is of the structures behind it. My supervisor and I pulled it apart looking for other organs, but this is my best reconstruction.

Cheers.

Attachments

• conv_292293.jpg
    conv_292293.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 419
  • conv_292294.jpg
    conv_292294.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 353

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back