Help? Nidamental Gland or Ovary or Something Else?

Is that a preserved specimen? It looks like it! To me your purplish solid structure looks like a full caecum. Many squids do the bulk of food storage/digestion in the caecum not in the stomach. If it was N. sloanii I'd say it was the caecum containing a (large) meal of cephs and perhaps some crustacean such as Euphausiids (the eyes can make the contents quite dark). The tubules behind it look like pancreatic ducts. The small sac at the end of the gill is one of the branchial hearts.

J

Jean;110610 said:
Is that a preserved specimen? It looks like it! To me your purplish solid structure looks like a full caecum. Many squids do the bulk of food storage/digestion in the caecum not in the stomach. If it was N. sloanii I'd say it was the caecum containing a (large) meal of cephs and perhaps some crustacean such as Euphausiids (the eyes can make the contents quite dark). The tubules behind it look like pancreatic ducts. The small sac at the end of the gill is one of the branchial hearts.

J

Thanks Jean,

When we pulled it apart a bit, it was solid cells...there wasn't any space to suggest it being a caecum. This is the only specimen we've found so far that had this structure...which explains why I'm a bit stumped.

Jean, if it was preserved it would become a solid structure; seen this so many times. Often the fluids inside take on a gel-like consistency and flake when teased apart.

There are many kinds of tumors; not all tumors are cancerous. Lots of mammals get varieties of tumors. Do cold blooded animals? Do fish? Invertebrates? In any case, this specimen didn't die of cancer or benignant tumors.

Very curious.

Melissa;110670 said:
There are many kinds of tumors; not all tumors are cancerous. Lots of mammals get varieties of tumors. Do cold blooded animals? Do fish? Invertebrates? In any case, this specimen didn't die of cancer or benignant tumors.

Very curious.

True........tis brain fade.......put it down to the start of student enrollment and the accompanying chaos!

Teleost Fish do get tumours, both benign and malignant, melanomas are especially common I believe. Cartilaginous (Chondrichthys) fish (sharks etc) are not known to get them.

hello again,

So I have been diligently dissecting squid for my project and the more I dissect, the more I realize that the purple structure I was confused about must be the caeca (Jean and Steve were right). That'll teach me to second guess the experts :notworth:

Thanks again for the help.:biggrin2:

Help me to locate the accessory nidamental gland

I really need to obtain the accessory nidamental gland of this squid for my research work.
Please help me..

THANKS in advance!

Attachments

• conv_298799.jpg
    conv_298799.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 205
  • conv_298800.jpg
    conv_298800.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 201
  • conv_298801.jpg
    conv_298801.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 177

Attachments

• conv_298809.gif
    conv_298809.gif
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 249

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back