Help my octos eye is white

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by bluespotocto, Jul 20, 2009.

1. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Recently I went on vacation and I got back and noticed that my octos left eye has some kind of white like fuzz over it. He is a bimac and his mantle is about 4 in. Is that how big he is going to get and does this mean he is about to die? I was only on vacation for about 4 days and I had some one come over and feed him 2 clams a day. Is there any way I could fix his eye problem?

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

2. mcmusashi5

mcmusashi5 GPO Registered

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I wouldn't recommend treating a cephalopod with a fish medication like "Ick Killer". Some ich/ick medications contain chelated Copper Sulfate. Copper is toxic to all cephalopods.

4. mcmusashi5

well it worked with mine

5. shipposhack

shipposhack Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Sounds like an adult that is beginning senescence. You most likely have less than a month if this is the case.

6. Cryp_Sis

Cryp_Sis O. bimaculoides Supporter

It sounds like he's full grown for a bimac. If the whiteness is filmy it could well be the cataract-type problem that you can sometimes see towards the end of an Octo's life span. Sorry. Does he appear to be able to see well still?
    If it is an infection though, I absoluely agree that fish treatments should be treated with extreme caution for cephs. The only safe treatments for which we have documented proof in cephs are the somewhat common aminoglycocides such as kanamcin and neomycin (with some evidence for tetracycline - see below) as well as more obscure antibacterials and antiprotozoal compounds. It's not worth the risk trying untested vertebrate treatments (IMO) for Octopuses, especially for animals in a somewhat weakened state. Even if copper is not included in an ingredients list, we just don't have enough toxicology info to extrapolate safely from fish.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Please at least know that many Tonmo members have struggled with the issue of treating ceph infections. You could search for posts talking about members trying tetracycline (commonly sold as a fish antibiotic) for cephs. My understanding is that this can be helpful.
    FIngers crossed that your Octo recovers; in my experience they are remarkably resilient to injury and disease. If he is still eating, then that is a HUGE mark in his favour.
    Best,
    Lene.

7. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Its ok he is gone.:cry::cry::cry::angel:

8. mcmusashi5

sorry dude that sucks mine died of deciese too.:angel:

9. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Sorry to hear :sad:

10. Cryp_Sis

Cryp_Sis O. bimaculoides Supporter

I'm sorry to hear that. It is sad but cephs just have such a limited life span (and you can get so attached to them...)

11. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Sorry for your loss. :angelpus:

The eye problem is usually a sign that your octopus does not have long left. There are discussions of this elsewhere on the Ceph Care foorums.

Nancy

12. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Sorry. RIP