• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

help me swallow a dictionary!!!

Hi Scouse,

Abalone should be fine with an octi, we keep 3 spp of Paua (Haliotis iris, H. australis, H virginea) (Maori for Abalone!!) with both our spp of octopus and no problems plus they are grazers so they contribute to the algae clean up!

J

chrono_war01 said:
maybe some octos just don't bother them if they're well fed....

Maybe but Abalone hold on REALLY hard to the surface. The only way we can shift some of ours without damage (which is important as they are Haemophiliacs!) is to use a large star (20+ cm diameter), the Abalone will lift up the shell and violently spin it in an effort to get it off then we can scoop the abalone off! This is how the Maori people used to collect Abalone for eating!!!

J

ah, but if you're an octo, then it can just use the radula or whatever it's called and a damaged abalone is still octo food, isn't it. A octo won't care if it's lunch is damaged or not, will it?

Mikey wrote:-
Hey scouse! Take it you are on UR too?

I remember elliots Abalones. I'm know UDA can get them in from time to time, but the clean up crew seen in the UK is appauling at the moment. Nothing coming in apart form your bog standard red legged hermits and astrea snails

Now then Mikey, yeah mate I go on UR, just not very often posted about 40 times in 2 years, but a class source of info. Only thing is theres if you wan an octo or anything ceph this is it isnt it...supoose different strokes for different folks!

Didnt realise clean up crews were that bad over here he saud he ordered his specially cause he knew what he wanted, suppose theres still some pot luck in it aswell. but this one im hopefully gettin is a beast im wonderin if 6-7 inches migght be an underestimation will find out very soon though, will post pics!

How many cuttles did you have? didnt think there where many major ceph nuts in england!!!

Jean wrote:-
Hi Scouse,

Abalone should be fine with an octi, we keep 3 spp of Paua (Haliotis iris, H. australis, H virginea) (Maori for Abalone!!) with both our spp of octopus and no problems plus they are grazers so they contribute to the algae clean up!

Whooooo HHHHoooooooooo!!!! Nice one Jean!! Well if he does try an take him it will be in a good while since he's a beast!!! I hope!!!

I had 42 cuttles all told scouse, and there aint a lot of ceph stuff on UR but with TONMO, I dont think there needs to be!!

chrono_war01 said:
ah, but if you're an octo, then it can just use the radula or whatever it's called and a damaged abalone is still octo food, isn't it. A octo won't care if it's lunch is damaged or not, will it?

Possibly not, but Paua don't move all that fast and they do look rather like rocks! Also the shell typically is heavily overgrown with weed and has a very heavy calcareous layer (at least in the NZ species). So in our experience the octis leave them alone!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back