• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

help me pleeeeeze now

A sump really is just a big box that the water runs though.

It helps in a number of ways.

It-

-increases the amount of water in the tank thereby diluting the water to some degree.

-can be used like I did by making a filter in it

-or is sometimes like a refuge where animals and plants can live where the octo can't eat them

There might be a few other ways but I cant think of them right now. :bugout:

Ant, A sump can be made from any container that will hold water as long as it is made from a non toxic material. I am using a plastic rubbermaid storage box for a sump on one of my seahorse tanks. It cost less than $5. You'll need an overflow box for the tank and a pump to return the water. You already have access to ro water, but you'll need a big container, perhaps a new 30g rubbermaid trashcan to mix your saltwater in. Let the sw mix and aerate it at least 12 hours before use so that the chemistry of the water has time to stabilize. Your gonna need a hydrometer to measure the salinity(specific gravity). I suggest getting a book on marine fish care just so you'll understand the basic's. Check out this link on sumps, http://www.aquaforums.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=49&t=3618&s=60516ca5c1ce62e647359712b2fc2fc0

hope this helps,
Spring

Hi ant,

I think it's rather important that you do make a trip to a good LFS that sells salt water equipment and has it on display. This may mean a trip to your nearest large city. I looked up Pandora on the map, and it doesn't seem that you're too near a major center. This will most likely mean that shipping will be longer for you, when you order an octopus or live rock or whatever.

Since there is so much to learn, I would strongly recommend you set up a salt water aquarium with some fish and shrimp and other invertebrates and have some time learning on it - maybe even a year.

Unless you live right by the sea and can catch much of your live food, keeping an ocotpus is expensive. You'll need fresh scallops and frozen shrimp and at least the occasional live crab.

Also, you need to check into the RO or RO/DI water that your father has. I remember a discussion on another site that the RO flitration that's installed in houses does not filter as well as what's needed for aqariums.

All this is going to take some time to do right, so be patient and work through it step by step. Spring's advice to buy a book or two on marine aquriums is good. Not everything applies, but the equipment is basically the same.

Hope this helps

Nancy

how many shrimp can i keep in a .... say 10- 15 gal tank?

can i keep fiddlers, clams,scallops in the same tank??? if so how many and how many gals

You could kepp quite alot of shrimp in a 10g ( Maybe 50 one and a half inch shrimp?), but you'll have to feed them. it should be ok with the hermits clams and scallops.

I just got back from the petland and there was a lady there that had one in a display case in columbus(capital of OH). I had her order a tank that is 4 ft. long 1ft. width and 18 in high.The owner owed my dad some money so that bought most of the tank so im getting it for around 150.00$ :biggrin2: . its has a black pine base.I think that i could maybe get a supply of food from the columbus aquarium.She said that they might have an octo for sale and its only about a 2-3 hr drive. Me and my dad are going down there sometime to see thier tanks.She thinks that they might have an octo for sale, but not sure. :bugout: I will either get the skimmers and filters ect. from petland ,Columbus( not sure) or those links burstsofenergy24 gave me.

Oh sorry I thought you were asking what it did.

A wet-dry basically is just a big box the water runs through. I has biomaterial such as Bioballs or scrunchies. Anything with alot of surface area.

The water can trickle down and will create lots of oxygen. The bacteria attach themsevles to the Biomaterial and get to work!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back