Help me ID this pygmy squid - Indonesia

Polpessa

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello,
I need help in order to ID this pygmy squid found in Raja Ampat Indonesia.

It was seen at approximately 12 metres depth on a coral slope. It was approximately 1 or 1.5 cm long. See photo with pointer stick for scale.

Any help most appreciated!

Helloooo from Sorong (you in town?)! Hmm that's a tricky one- The yellow color is interesting- I saw one in Wakatobi that color, but that was in intertidal seagrass. My guess is it may be a juvenile crinoid cuttle? We were just in Dampier, and one of the guests photographed a bright orange one (could be same kind)?

Upvote 0
Hey there Mucktopus, I'm on the island, unfortunately can't visit in Sorong at the moment.

So is it agreed that it's a cuttlefish and not a squid at least? Any hope of a latin name ID or are the pictures too inconclusive?

Thanks for your comments and help!

Upvote 0
Oh well, I'm in Mayalibit by now anyway. But may have a little "flexible" time in R4 in early Dec...one trip appears to have been canceled, possibly giving me some open time in the schedule.

It's definitely a cuttlefish, and a very small one. Sepia esculenta apparently shows some golden color patterns, so it could be that one- I'm not very familiar with that species though. No matter what it is, it's a gorgeous find!

Also- (off topic) we didn't see any bleaching in Dampier including the sites where Mark had seen blanching. Phew!

Upvote 0
Oh well, I'm in Mayalibit by now anyway. But may have a little "flexible" time in R4 in early Dec...one trip appears to have been canceled, possibly giving me some open time in the schedule.

It's definitely a cuttlefish, and a very small one. Sepia esculenta apparently shows some golden color patterns, so it could be that one- I'm not very familiar with that species though. No matter what it is, it's a gorgeous find!

Also- (off topic) we didn't see any bleaching in Dampier including the sites where Mark had seen blanching. Phew!

Upvote 0
Thank you again very much for the info, this is very interesting! I will send you an email letting you know why I have been trying to ID this guy.

Also great to hear about the lack of bleaching, what a relief!

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back