help identifying octopus at a LFS

I posted these in the wrong forum opps...
I know the photos are extremely out of focus but I didn't have much time before it hid again. Any guess as to what species it is? Any help would be appreciated.

Here they are...

octo1.jpg

octo2.jpg

octo3.jpg

octo4.jpg

octo6.jpg

hmm thats funny, I called them about this very octopus and all they could tell me was that in came in last tuesday from the pacific. I asked how big it would get and they said "not very big at all". They told me it was 3" when spread out though, are you sure the arms were 6"? Did you see a lot of color change?

Upvote 0
I wanted to photograph it, the guy moved the rock and it went to the corrned and turned black. It dissapeared against the black wall. I scrambled to get my camera and as it moved from the wall it became more of the grey coloration you see in the photos. Small/large dosen't have much meaning unless the species is known but it is definately much larger that what you were told.

Upvote 0
Hummelincki is Caribbean, not Pacific (although what they tell you isn't always right). I don't think it's mercatoris though. Aculeatus will have a much larger ratio of arm to mantle length than hummelincki will... hummelincki has ocelli (false eyespots) which I can't make out in the pics... so my first guess would be aculeatus (or something in that complex), but I haven't kept one so someone else should probably chime in.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's marine and not freshwater though. :sagrin:

Upvote 0
Neal suggested that I ask you if your tank is ready. I know it is cycled but what about the top?

I am guessing not hummelincki or aculeatus and will hesitate on bimac all for one observation that is not always constant. The rings on the suckers, when you can see a color should be purple/blue (and I have validated this does not need actinic with another member's photos) for hummelincki or aculeatus and orange for bimac. The only one I know of (from another member who kept both hummelincki and vulgaris at the same time and noted this difference) with a dark brown would be vulgaris. Also the sucker coloring seems to be around the entire sucker and not just the rim, definiately different that what I have seen in aculeatus or hummelincki. The coloring, unfortunately is common for all most all octos. There does appear to be a starburst around the eye but many octos show this. Usually when the octos with eyespots are upset, you can see the disk clearly but with the hummelincki, they usually display a light coloration as well.

Sorry that I am only suggesting eliminations but that is the best of my current observations.

Upvote 0
Have been working on the cover today so the tank is pretty much good to go. Just have to move a couple btas out but going to leave them till last. Sorry for the bad photos, they weren't much help huh? I am not sure I should take a chance or not. Thinking about it :hmm:

And thanks to all for input, much appreciated

Upvote 0
The star does want me to think aculeatus but the arms arent long enough. I would go with something in the adopus like every one else has said. I dont think hummelinki or bimac. Do you have any more info about where it came? What is the biggest an adopus species get? I dont think they get very big so if i were you i would just go for it. Also if it gets to big then maybe some one on here might take it for you. Since you did say its mantle was about 3 in then that makes it a little more confusing what species.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back