• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

help id

raudy

Cuttlefish
Registered
Here is octo bobs pic any help id him her would be great

thanks jason

Attachments

• conv_302992.jpg
    conv_302992.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 65
Hard to say with just one photo.....can you give any more detail? The size of the octo, does it have any eyespots, is it diurnal/nocturnal, any noticeable attributes? From one photo, it could be anything....

The store said atlantic reef ???
He is nocturnal most likely caught in Florida 5 - 6 inches 15 if you stretch him, ha ha
Havent noticed eye spots
doubled in size in one month.
Very strong, not sure i would try to pet it?

thanks jason

mine too has also doubled in size in about 2 months, and from that picture mine looks just like that, even know its not a very good picture. i was told my was a vulgaris and that it would only grow to be less than a foot from mantle to arm tip. its already there it seems when its stretched and he still seems pretty young. post some more pictures of close up's or compare to some on my pictures on my "anyone want to try to identify" post

they do look alot a like, mine is very hard to get pic of it.it was about the size of oyster when i got it.
i did not feed him yesterday so he is looking hungry will try to get new pic tonight

thanks jason

raudy;94085 said:
they do look alot a like, mine is very hard to get pic of it.it was about the size of oyster when i got it.
i did not feed him yesterday so he is looking hungry will try to get new pic tonight

thanks jason

Try to feed him EVERY day, octopus don't really have energy reserves (they have protein based metabolism, so no fat storage) when they're not fed they may start to break down muscle tissue to keep functioning!

J

If it is indeed a vulgaris, I hope you have a big tank for him! There's Vulgaris info in some articles in Ceph Care, and I think it was Colin who wrote that Vulgaris need about 150 gallon tanks to be happy, as they can get much larger than Bimacs, Aculeatus, etc. :smile:

nickcoletti;94081 said:
mine too has also doubled in size in about 2 months, and from that picture mine looks just like that, even know its not a very good picture. i was told my was a vulgaris and that it would only grow to be less than a foot from mantle to arm tip. its already there it seems when its stretched and he still seems pretty young. post some more pictures of close up's or compare to some on my pictures on my "anyone want to try to identify" post

If it's actually a vulgaris it will get considerably bigger than a foot long, more like 2-3 feet! Although it's probably more likely that it's not actually a vulgaris, since it seems to be the norm that collectors and LFSes call anything that looks like an octopus vulgaris instead of saying "we have no idea what species this is."

yeah, i already cleared that up a while ago. i know how big its supose to get but i found out to late as far as my set up goes, i have a 75. so i gotta hope that it dosent turn out to be a vulgaris but i question it all the time with its growth. its more than doubled since i got it in mid march. ill have to post a new batch of pictures one day so a vulgaris expert will be able to pin a name on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back