help!, help!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by henrydrph, Dec 30, 2003.

1. henrydrph

henrydrph Larval Mass Registered

Dec 29, 2003
    Hello everyone, I am in need of some advice. My intrest in keeping an octo started about 1 month ago when I purchased some live rock. (came from Florida). To make a long story short an octopus was hiding inside one of them and I now have a new friend.
    I think he is an O. briareus since these are common in the florida keys. (where my rock came from). He is about 4-5 inches long from the end of one leg to the end of the other leg, and he only comes out of his rock at night. (I know where he hides). I have seen him several times at about 4 AM. I have never feed him so he must be eating something (snails) inside my tank.
    Will it be necessary to wake up at 3-4AM to try to feed him? Is there any way to make him come out of his rock at any other time? Is the frozen shrimp at he supermarket a good idea? What is the best thing to do?
    Thanks for the advise.
  2. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Nov 14, 2002

Lucky You!!! ;)

The octopus may be feeding on snails but if it is a well established tank there wil be a lot of amphipods and so on to keep it going.

Dead shrimp like defrosted frozen shrimp wil be accepted by a briarues and its just a matter of trial and error but you set the feeding times not the octopus! Feed at the same time every day and it may get into a routine...

best food would be live crabs/hermit crabs.. try that to start with.

I would expect briareus to be more active... perhaps you have got mercatoris or jouhbini? They are more secretive and nocturnal.

All the best
  3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

May 30, 2000
    Welcome henrydrph! :welcome: Would live to see a picture of your tank... got any? I'm interested in seeing the live rock your octo was hiding in... if I were to get a tank it'd definitely have the live rock... so cool. 8)