Help: Dead Squid Required!

Nik

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi All,

not sure if this is in the right section, there isn't one specifically for people asking for specimens.... As some of you know, i'm working on a series for the BBC and Discovery about the deep ocean and although we're making most of our cephs in CGI we're also going to do some practical filming. One sequence i'm working on at the moment requires a large dead squid (we're talking SL of around 60 cm plus, TL 1m plus ish) to be filmed up close and personal as if it's just been swallowed by a whale. I don't want to specify species, i'll be happy to get anything, but something with a passing resemblance to a little archi would be good :razz: . If anyone can sell me a specimen of something suitable, or point me in the direction of someone who can i'd be really greatful. The chances are the poor thing will get some rough treatment once the crew start sticking cameras inside it so i'd need to get something not too precious!

Any suggestions from anyone are very welcome.

Cheers
Nik

Nik said:
Hi All,

not sure if this is in the right section, there isn't one specifically for people asking for specimens.... As some of you know, i'm working on a series for the BBC and Discovery about the deep ocean and although we're making most of our cephs in CGI we're also going to do some practical filming. One sequence i'm working on at the moment requires a large dead squid (we're talking SL of around 60 cm plus, TL 1m plus ish) to be filmed up close and personal as if it's just been swallowed by a whale. I don't want to specify species, i'll be happy to get anything, but something with a passing resemblance to a little archi would be good :razz: . If anyone can sell me a specimen of something suitable, or point me in the direction of someone who can i'd be really greatful. The chances are the poor thing will get some rough treatment once the crew start sticking cameras inside it so i'd need to get something not too precious!

Any suggestions from anyone are very welcome.

Cheers
Nik

If you mean the squid is going to be in bad condition once your done with it, I recommend going to a foreign or normal seafood shop. They should have squid there. The size you want might be difficult to find, but just keep searching in your local grocery shop, or nearby sea-food shop. Foreign places like japanese or Italian markets should have a variety of squid to be purchased that are dead. Otherwise, mabye you can visit a science shop that would let you purchase or have a dead squid that reaches up to the size you want it.

Hmmmmm. I guess you need it fresh, rather than preserved. Why don't you try contacting some deep-sea fishing company? The problem would be it would be (quite likely) a month before anything was forthcoming (the likely duration of a trip).

Cheers for the advice. :smile:
Will have to make an early morning trip to Billingsgate fish market and see what comes in.

Nik

You just gotta refresh my fading memory Nik; when is this mighty fine doco due to air, and what is it called again? If you really get stuck, and desperately need a big squid and all, and are willing to pay for its transport, you can always give us a bell. Sounds kewl, what you're up to and all ....

Just have a subtitle at the end that says "Ban bottom trawling" and I'll dispatch said squid like yesterday!

Cheers Steve! The series doesn't have a full title yet (we just call it Oceans) and we deliver next spring. I'm pretty sure it'll be on in the UK in late spring but i'm not sure when it will make it to New Xenaland. Not sure exactly when we'll be shooting our dead squid/whale stomach bits yet either so i don't know how quickly i need to get hold of the specimen, but we certainly have money for shipping..... Our main concern is that the squid looks fresh, like it's just been eaten (we may have to rig it so it can move a bit :shock: ) which will dictate what sort of squid we can use i.e. good condition, with skin and bits in the right places. If I was to take advantage of your kind offer, what sort of thing are we talking about? Or should i PM you aboot this?

Cheers
Nik

PS we have a whole scene planned about bottom trawling :wink:

Nik said:
PS we have a whole scene planned about bottom trawling :wink:

Thank you kind Sir. I'll post a few pics online ... whale stomach contents and stuff, and in ~ a week, take a rummage through the freezer and see what we have (a tad busy until then).

Forced temporal shifts in the diet of the whale as a consequence of habitat damage, and associated changes in the distribution and abundance of prey species, particularly cephalopods. Hmmmmmmmm. All very interesting! There are three people over here that are looking into this very thing. I should send you some abstracts.

Agghhhh the delights of the early mornin london fish market with bug eyed revellers hangin out the pubs in the late hours of the mornin an the smell of fish in the air....now thats culture :lol:

sounds good maybe i'll see this one, seem to miss all ceph programmes on tv!!

Nik,

I found this picture online; I can only assume is it is an Impossible Productions test image from 'Oceans'. For some reason the Sperm Whale is attacking the nautiloid from Nigel Marven's 'Sea monster' series. I can only assume you must still be working on the Architeuthis model. From this test quality the production looks good already and will be something to look forward to.

(If you have any problems with the use of this image here, of course I'll delete it straight away).

Phil

Attachments

• conv_288365.jpg
    conv_288365.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 56
Hi Phil,

well spotted. Yes, that's a very early test image from when we were first talking about the idea of the series with various people. The whale is indeed attacking an orthocone - but hey, it was the only ceph we had at the time! It gives people a rough idea of the sort of thing we're doing, although the finished series will look way better than that :cool2:

I think that pic is from our website, so it's fine for it to be out there, but thanks for checking. There will be more stills released as time goes on, but afraid i can't post anything just yet - as :oshea: would say, sehkrit.

Nik

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back