• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Help choosing an octo (care questions too)

Jerambis

Hatchling
Registered
Hello all, I was interested in purchasing an octo as a pet and have done some research, but still I am not sure which one would suite me best.

1 - I would ideally like to get an octo that displays good camoflauge, and is not too timid in an aquarium setup.

2 - I would like to have a smaller size octo, (12-20", is that a small octo?) since food seems to get expensive with these guys.

3 - I live in Southern California, and if possible would like NOT to use a chiller.

4 - Currently I have a fluval FX5 filter and was going to get a new tank based on the octo and the size tank it needs. I was also going to get a protein skimmer and other neccessary components. I have also read that you really need to seal the tank so that they can't escape, but was worried about air exchange inside the tank since I will be using a canister filter. Any suggestions on how to do this?

So far the ones that seem to fit these needs are either a Bimac or Vulgaris (?), are there any other suggestions? If so, do you also know a place to purchase these octos from? Thanks in advance for your help. I am new to octos and really want to learn as much as I can before I get one.

:welcome: to TONMO!

check out the ceph care articles under the ARTICLES at the top if you haven't already.

A bimac would be OK for you, but briareus or hummelincki or aculeatus would be fine, too and they're tropical. A bimac can do without a chiller, but some people think it's a good idea, and they may live longer in colder temps. A vulgaris gets quite big, so it probably doesn't meet your size requirements.

Usually, gas exchange isn't a problem in octo tanks, particularly with a skimmer. You didn't say if you plan a sump, but a skimmer in a sump will generally be all you need for keeping the water oxygenated.

I'm sure the real tank experts will chime in with more details shortly, but maybe that's a start...

I've loved the aculeatus I've had- they could fit your wish list well. I have a 55 gal which gives an aculeatus enough room to swim around some. They display lots of texture and color variation, are diurnal and very personable. Mine have done well fed on a combinatin of live hermit crabs and stick fed frozen (raw) shrimp. I know a sump is the preferred filtration system, but I use a canister filter (I clean it once a week as part as regular tank maintenance) that is rated for 100 gal, and my H20 quality does fine. The only bummer about aculeatus is that are small egged so if you wanted to tank raise a generation it's near impossible. If that's not a concern for you, I'd highly recommend trying an aculeatus! Call the phone number listed on the website thehttp://www.marindepotlive.com they are very helpful and are located in Cali- may be a good lead for you!

Thanks for all the info guys! What does an aculeatus typically eat, and how big does it get? Also, where can you get one from?

Will an aculeatus eat the sandcrabs typically found at the beaches in Los Angeles?

I was planning on doing my Fluval FX5 and a Skimmer, but no sump. I have no experience with sumps, is it necessary? Or am I able to run these filters with just the inlet and outlet tubes going from the tank to the canister?

Jerambis;128269 said:
Thanks for all the info guys! What does an aculeatus typically eat, and how big does it get? Also, where can you get one from?

Will an aculeatus eat the sandcrabs typically found at the beaches in Los Angeles?

I was planning on doing my Fluval FX5 and a Skimmer, but no sump. I have no experience with sumps, is it necessary? Or am I able to run these filters with just the inlet and outlet tubes going from the tank to the canister?

Welcome to TONMO.

Aculeatus sounds like it does fit the bill. Marine Depot Live sells them. It may or may not eat the crabs, all you can do is try. We suggest trying lots of different things and figuring out what your octopus likes best.

You don't absolutely have to have a sump but it does have its advantages. I don't have one on Kalypso's tank and he has done fine for 11 months now. Just make sure the lines to and from the filter are secure and invest in a good skimmer.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a sump! I would have a sump if I were starting over or able to upgrade- money and especially space are my biggest obstacles but I plan on upgrading eventually. Since keeping octos, I've wished I had the place to keep extra live food, and it would save me a lot of work! As I said, my canister is rated for twice my tank size and I actually take it apart and rinse the filter media WEEKLY (as part of my 15% H2O change routine). If you can't get a sump now, try to set up your tank so there's room for future upgrades!

You can look at Marine Depot Live's website but call them to place your order. They suggest calling everyday til they get something in. They have moved their holding facility from their call center so they can't e-mail pictures anymore and they can't actually tell you what kind of octo they have, but they could tell me where mine was collected. If you want an aculeatus, you want one from the Philippines. Good Luck! :smile:

Thanks again for all the info.

I am going to give the marinedepot place a call tomorrow.

I have no experience with sumps, but what is the typical maitanence on them?

Also how big does the Aculeatus grow? Would a 60g suite him, or something bigger? Has anyone tried feeding their octopus the sandcrabs you typically find in the sand of Southern California?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back