Help! ammonia

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Lmecher, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

Anyone that can advise me?
    I fed a blue crab lastnight. It was messier than usual. I got up this morning to do a water change. I tested this tank along with my 120. I have .50 ammonia. I am performing enormous water change but I have the 120 (anyone familiar with my 120 set up?) should I transfer her now. I am worried that I won't be able to get the amonia down fast enough. She is looking very good, changing colors, eyes not dialated and active, no heavy breathing. Should I keep her in the 50 or transfer her. Sorry I am rambling but I am scared and in panic mode.

2. Lmecher

After 30 gallon water change it is down to .25
    Wow, nobody around? New tank is looking like my best bet at this point. I may transfer later on when I get an extra pair of hands.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I think I would transfer. At this point her eating needs are exceeding the smaller volume tank and you will likely be fighting this constantly.

4. Lmecher

:oops: I misspelled ammonia in the thread title!
    Thanks D, Tonmo has been a ghost town most of the day. I can always count on you!
    I am glad you confirmed what I had been thinking. Once I actually capture her acclimating will be difficult, sure she'll crawl out of what ever I put her in. I will match the PH a closley as I can. I will not be begining the transfer until she comes out on her own, still hold up on her den. I keep checking to see if she is breathing.:indiffer:
    I will keep the camera handy and snap a few shots. I'll feel much better with her out of that tank. I was so terribly worried this morning, I had to take a few deep breaths to calm down. If I lost her I would be devastated and heart broken.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Summers do get a bit slow with people on vacation or out of school. Title fixed. Keep us posted on her reactions to her new tank.

6. Lmecher

I posted the transfer of Diablo with photos in her journal. I am happy to report everything went smoothly and she is doing fine.

Thank you D for fixing my error : )