Hello!

I'm a 4th year Biology student living in Indianapolis. I do not currently own a cephalopod, but I intend to acquire some Sepia bandensis in the near future.

My mantis shrimp recently died, so I intend on using her setup which is a 55g, but I will be moving it in to a 60g cube soon. Once it settles for a couple of weeks and any mini cycle is done with, I will begin looking into finding cuttles.

At this point in time, I can't decide if I want eggs or a semi-mature cuttle. I'm not sure if I want to go to the lengths of culturing mysis to feed babies. At least not if it's as involved as I think it is, but I need to look into it more.

So yeah... lurker status over.

-Erin

Welcome JokerGirl! :welcome:

You are joining at a tough time for the community, our most zealous welcomer, Monty, has passed away far too young. He would have welcomed you immediately, always as a personal hello and on behalf of TONMO.com. I'm happy and sad to jump into this space and welcome you on his behalf.

I look forward to learning more about your tank Erin - welcome aboard!

:monty:

:welcome: to TONMO

60 gallon cube should be a great tank for cuttles. While I have not owned them myself, but I do know it is very hard to find already hatched cuttles for sale. For one they have a short life span but more important they do not ship well once already hatched. So it is much better to buy eggs. If you look under our section of 'Journal and photos' you can read about other peoples adventures with these awesome creatures. At the top of 'journals and photos' there are List of Cuttles and Octos arranged by year you can skim through to nake it easier.

:monty:

also a great book to that was a huge help for me and happens to be written by to TONMO staff member is 'Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish for the Home Aquarium' you can get it HERE on Amazon

Sorry to hear of the sad news.

If they are really that poor of shippers, then I certainly don't want to take the risk of endangering their lives, so I will go with the eggs. I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks for the welcome :smile:

Welcome to the site!
I have been shipping hatchlings with great success. Only 1 shipment out of 13 reported any doa's for hatchlings out to 2 weeks old, and was likely my fault for using an ice pack... well, it was middle of a heat wave here...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back