Hello!

Steve

Hatchling
Registered
Hello! I've been keeping freshwater fish for a while now and currently have six freshwater aquariums setup, I have no experience in saltwater but I would love to have an Octopus. My question is, can it be done with no experience?? I really want to provide the best home possible, and if the chances aren't very high I'll work to get some experience before trying it out.

It is very important to have some prior experience with Saltwater aquariums before attempting to keep an octopus. It is also important to have a well established aquarium before getting an octopus. You really need to become familiar with keeping good quality saltwater. I would suggest staing with some simple fish and a few simple corals. once you get the hang of keeping them, both you and your tank should be ready t jump into keeping octopuses.

another side note if you are planning on converting one of your freshwater tanks into a saltwater tank and eventually a cephalopod tank, then it is very important to make sure you have never used any copper or copper medications in that tank.The copper sticks to the silicone in the tank. Cephalopods are very sensitive to copper and it will kill them. If you have any doubt than i would not use the tank.

oh yeah :welcome:

Thanks for the advice Captfish! The tank that I'm using wouldn't have copper, all meds go in the QT tank. It's a 75 gallon, could I convert it to saltwater and use the same equipment for an eventual octopus?

Steve;152849 said:
Thanks for the advice Captfish! The tank that I'm using wouldn't have copper, all meds go in the QT tank. It's a 75 gallon, could I convert it to saltwater and use the same equipment for an eventual octopus?

75 gallons is a great size. That leaves you with a lot of options when it comes to eventually getting your octo.

My largest tank is 125 gallon that I set up for freshwater, for about a year. I then converted it too a saltwater fish tank, then a reef tank, and them now too an octopus tank. I made sure I washed all my equipment, then I replaced my hoses and fittings which were hard to clean perfectly but cheap to replace. I also traded my used bio-balls in for brand new ones so basically the filters were all in brand new condition. When it was freshwater I had a UV sterilizer which I removed from the system. I also added a protein skimmer. When I started with corals I added a set of Compact Florescent lights.

So how long do you think I need to maintain a saltwater tank before being ready for an octo? Also, do I need to do the corals or can I have a saltwater fish only tank, what fish would be good?

Well, How long really depends on you once you feel comfortable dealing with a saltwater tank and its trials and tribulations.

I mentioned Corals because they require more care and a better water quality than most fish. I feel, that if a person can successfully maintain corals and a healthy reef tank then they are probably ready for an Octopus, but that is my opinion. I don't think that there is set time frame till someone is ready it depends on the person and their level of responsibility.

Some good stater fish would probably be Clownfish, Chromis, Damsels, and Gobies these are what I started with.

Hello!...Myself is Jaser from Australia and i am a newbie in forums work..I am feeling very glad to join forums work..Its nice stay for me here.Thanks admin for allow me here..

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back