hello!

rednexaal

Hatchling
Registered
I have been a backseat reader of the Tonmo forums for a few months now and i decided to make an account. I was one of the newbies who rushed into the saltwater experience very quickly because I wanted an octopus. The people at my Fish Store sold me a 24 gallon nano-cube and had me cycle it and were going to put me on the list for an octopus in a month or so.(this was in April 2009) I was doing a LOT of research on octopus care and realized there was not much out there, but from what i gathered an octopus would not do well in my tank. When I happened upon this website and started reading the forums this confirmed my decision that I wanted an octopus yet could not keep one in my current tank. I just wanted to thank you all here at Tonmo for saving an octopuses life, and helping to better them in the future.

With great thanks.
Rednexaal

:welcome: I hope you'll be able to get your octopus set-up soon!

Going solely by your name (I wish members would put SOMETHING relavent in the location entry) I am guessing you are somewhere in my nex of the woods :biggrin2:. If so, we tend to suffer from lack of knowledgable LFS' for marine aquaria.

You can consider a pair of dwarfs for the tank if you would not be disappointed in a shy nocturnal. With patience, we have had several members who have fully enjoyed keeping them and two of us have raised multiple generations. There is no such thing as a starter ceph but I think that anyone that successfully keeps mercs first is better prepared for the patience required for interacting with the larger animals.

For the pair of dwarfs, what is the scientific name, bimac? also you say pair, i thought that they could only be kept alone.
One more thing, for my nano-cube there is a lot of possible escape routes so would a mesh of some sort and velcro for securing the top down work?
Thank you.
Rednexaal

Sorry but bimac (there are two with this nickname) are medium sized animals and too large for your tank. The most common dwarf, and the ones that I suggest are viable for your tank, are O.mercatoris (often seen as O.joubini).

There has been no TONMO success keeping two different species in the same tank, even with a divider. There have only been a few attempts trying to keep a pair of wild caught post juvenile of the same species in one tank and none of those have proven successful on TONMO but some aquariums do it successfully. We have had excellent success with the mercatoris living together if they are sibblings or were living together in the wild. We have not had an attempt to put two adult mercatoris from separate environment together.

The merc is one species that gives little problem with escape and most any tank can be marginally altered to contain them. If you think this is an animal you would like to keep put a description and a help request in the tank talk forum specifying you are going to try it for a mercatoris.

Let me invite you to read two jounals. You will need to spend some time getting through them but you will have a good feel for this animal from the prospective of keepers that enjoyed the experience. Greg's jounals start with his brooding female Varys and you will find two additional chained links for the children and grandchildren. My journals start with Trapper and will also have the next two generations linked. If you are not exhausted after reading through these two series, scan the journals forum for more entries marked mercatoris or joubini (as far as we know all dwarfs marked joubini are mercatoris but the seller uses the name given before the Caribbean species was divided into two species.)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back