Hello! To adventures and beyond.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KD5054, Feb 26, 2017.

1. KD5054

KD5054 O. bimaculoides Registered

Hello all!
    I hear this is the place to introduce yourself.
    My name is Kate and I live in Washington State (did not mean to rhyme there it just happened.)
    I am new to the saltwater side of aquariums, dealing mostly with fresh, but enjoy a challenge and have been looking for an aquatic animal that is not just entertaining but also interactive. So far everything I have read on octopus has sound right up there.
    Any tips or advice my fellow hobbyists have for me is always a great welcome.

Thank you all and looking forwards to learning as I go.

tonmo likes this.
  2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Welcome Kate from Washington State! :biggrin2:

Plenty of reading materials for you here on TONMO, including our Ceph Care articles. Good luck; looking forward to following your adventures :thumbsup:

KD5054 likes this.
  3. sirreal

sirreal Vampyroteuthis Registered

Welcome and enjoy.

KD5054 likes this.
  4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

:welcome: Kate! For a feel for cephalopod interaction, take a look as some of the longer journals for both octopuses and cuttlefishes.

5. KD5054

Thanks! I've been reading a lot here. It's great and I enjoy reading and learning.
    Are there any recommended articles or books on starting in the marine hobby I should check out? I've seen the one book called 'Marine Aquarium Handbook- beginner to breeder'. Is this a good source?
    I'm planning to take my adventure slow and steady as I want to do it right.

6. DWhatley

We don't have a lot of beginning marine aquarium information well categorized as it is scattered within various Q&A discussions in the Octopus Care forum but I can direct you to a collection of books about cephalopods that you might look over. Unfortunately, @Colin and @Nancy 's book, Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish for the Home Aquarium is no longer in print but you may find an odd copy around. I did locate this e-book version doing a Google search but can't vouch for its quality.

KD5054 likes this.
  7. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I have contacted the book's publisher, TFH, about this listing. They told me they intended to make this into an e-book, but it's not available now. They are researching this listing and will get back to me about it.

Update- just heard from TFH. The Cephalopods book is not available, despite being in their book catalog. They will probably eventually release it as an E-book, but there are no definite plans or a definite date.

Nancy

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    tonmo likes this.
  8. KD5054

Thank you for checking.
    I hit a bit of luck and was able to find a hard copy of the book. This will be a great help and an enjoyable read.

DWhatley likes this.
  9. catherineLA

catherineLA Cuttlefish Registered

Hi! I'm new here just joined yesterday! Could you please advice where can I get a pet octopus?? I spent hours trying to find it!! Any breeders on this forum who can help? thank you

10. KD5054

I'm onto my first step for this adventure- getting my first salt water tank set up today and will start the learning hands on process.
    I'd like to have a location to post statuses as I work my way up to owning a ceph - which spot would be best to post my progress?
    Super excited!

tonmo and DWhatley like this.
  11. DWhatley

Kate, you certainly can use this thread to record your introduction to the hobby but you might like to journal your tank acquisition, setup and cycle in the Tank Talk Forum. It is also a good place for ideas about octo-proofing the tank as well as a few discussion about hardware.

KD5054 likes this.
  12. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

+1 vote for a thread in Tank Talk!

13. KD5054

Awesome! Once I get my computer back up (poor thing took a crash) I'll start working on writing it. I've already learned a great number of things and thought as a newbie it might help someone else to see the steps I've gone and am going through as well as for me to get any and all tips as I go through it myself. I want to do this the right way after all.

tonmo and DWhatley like this.
  14. KD5054

Awesome-my computer is fixed and I've started my posts on my steps as I move along.
    This is very exciting for me. I have a great passion for anything aquatic really.
    Next week I may be able to get a fish and truly start getting things moving.