hello there

Pat Flannery

Hatchling
Registered
Hi, my name is Pat Flannery, and I'm a cephalopod fan from North Dakota U.S.A. (which, let's face it, is a far from ideal place to study cephalopods from; given that it's in the exact center of the North American continent) AFAIK, the only cephalopods in North Dakota have been dead for around 65 million years or so- although I'm sure one could put their fossilized shells in an aquarium if one was so inclined, to warn the fish that they had better mind their p's and q's if they don't want to end up as a piece of sedimentary rock also.
I think my intrest in cephalopods got started when my older brother took me to see the movie "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and then held my head down so I couldn't see the growling giant octopus stick itself on the bow windows of the Seaview, as that "was too scary" for me to see, although the giant squid/straight shelled nautiloid what's-it that attacked the crew when they were walking on the sea bottom was fakey enough to pass the "too-scary-for-young-eyes" test.
Of course things got really going full speed when I saw "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" and a really decent giant squid for the first time... and the giant ammonite from "Mysterious Island"- cephalopods became one of my favorite hobbies, as my poor friends can tell you....now that (much to their annoyance) they also know about as much about them as I do, due to decades of my obtuse babble on the subject; and I'm quite sure more than they ever really wanted to know about anything at all...much less giant squids!
I have a small fossil collection, and have found two small fossil straight-shelled nautiloids near my home town, but I live in the glacier-scarred area of the state, and that means that all the sediments are in a jumble, and fossils seperated by over a hundred million years can be found right next to each other.
And yes, I do have a vinyl figure of Cthulhu standing on the slime covered remains of R'lyeh on my shelf, (see attachment; there is also a pliosaur eating a giant squid) so I suspect I'll fit right in here.

Pat Flannery :smile:

:welcome: Wow! Great to great to have you onboard. That is indeed a nice collection.

Is that fossil you have a polished goniatite? The other looks like an Orthoceras. Cthulhu is great, by the way. Any chance of a close up on your nautiloid?

Your model of a giant squid wrapped around a pliosaur may not be a fantasy; there really were animals of comparative size out there to Architeuthis in the Cretaceous. I'm working on it......

Glad you are here!

Phil

Welcome to Tonmo! Nice Cthulhu by the way...did you sculpt that? Very cool!
Look forward to hearing more from you...
Greg

p.s. for the second decade(mini-eon?) the IRS has refused my tax-exempt status. they just don't understand! :frown:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back