• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hello, new here and had some questions for you all.

Twelve gallons is very small for a four month old bimac. Not only do you have to think of room for the octopus, but the strain the octo will put on your filters, inking, etc. You just need to be a little patient!

Nancy

Thanks Nancy. I guess I knew the answer to my question before I asked but I want one so bad right now. I'll just have to hold off for now.

I'm bumbed out now :frown:

My LFS did give me a copy of the August 2004 Tropical Fish with the "8Whys & Ways to keep an Octopus" has some good info in there and some really nice pics.

:welcome: I too am not so sure I would start a bimac in a 12 gal. Now I know someone on this site, I believe the octo's name was Alice, was moved to a bigger tank without problems. But 12 gal is really small for a bimac, even a baby. Who wrote the article on Octos' in the mag?

Carol

corw314 said:
:welcome: I too am not so sure I would start a bimac in a 12 gal. Now I know someone on this site, I believe the octo's name was Alice, was moved to a bigger tank without problems. But 12 gal is really small for a bimac, even a baby. Who wrote the article on Octos' in the mag?

Carol

Philip A. Purser is the writer.

So any suggestions on what to get for my 12gallon to hold me over for 3 or 4 months?

I was hoping to get some Dwarf ocotpus info from you guy's. Like maybe even some names to search, or some links. I'm in the WOW phase and just want to read every thing I can find. I'm sure there are some people on here that have Dwarfs, what are there screen names? I'll search their names and read what they have posted to share.

Dunno bout all that but if i had a dwarf octo it would have to be called an umpalumpa (charlie an the chocolate factory) or something off the wizard of oz

ive always wanted a rug in the middle of the livin room thats the start of the yellow brick road, so every mornin before work ya could start in the middle an say follow the yellow brick road..follow the yellow brick road...etc an a load of dwarfs would pop out from behind the couch an the tv an shout follow the yellow brick road!!! hey a dwarf octo is the future.....your onto somethin mate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw!!! :welcome:

1.jpg

This is my new buddy that I have named Stumpy. He is going to keep me happy till my 55 is set up and cycled. He's no Octopus but he is cool in his own right.

Not really a picture of him, but thats what he looks like to a "T"

Leaf fish? :roll: Make sure to get him out when the octo arrives :smile: I love these fast striking predatory creatures, Its real run to watch them feeding. I found my frogfish dead this morning, I think it ate a dead shrimp.

Meet the Species

Most of the Scorpionfish that are regularly available to the hobby are part of the subfamily Scorpaeninae. Within this subfamily are roughly 15 genera, and possibly over 150 species. The genus Taenianotus, or the Leaf Scorpionfishes, including the popular Taenianotus triacanthusare, are potentially suitable species for aquariums for several reasons. First, they can be housed in very small aquariums, a 20 or 30 gallon tank can adequately hold a pair or trio of these fish which are usually less than four inches in length. Second, they usually like to perch on rocks or caves out in the open and can thus be observed easily by aquarists. Third, they come in a virtual rainbow of colors: red, maroon, pink, yellow, tan, brown, and even black specimens are available. The difficulty in keeping these fish, as with other family members, is getting them to accept appropriate prepared foods. The hobbyist should start with live ghost shrimp, and slowly wean them to frozen/thawed Mysis shrimp, if possible.

This was found here. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2.../hcs3/index.htm

Thats the info I could find on Stumpy. He is very good at acting like a leaf in the water. Tumbles around the tank, it's fun to watch. I'm going to get some feeders tomorrow for him. Part of says not to because he takes froozen foods now and might stop if he gets live food.

Joel_ang, He is in my 12 gallon set up and the Bimac one day will be in the 55 set up. So it is likely they will never even see each other. I would like a Frogfish but they also get to big for the 12 gallon set up.

I almost bought one of those! It was between that, an orange angler but then I saw Elmer....Blue Bird Wrasse from Indonesia! He is presently residing in my old octo tank!

Carol

Carol do you have a pic? Does Elmer eat Bristle worms? I have a few and want them gone. Did the lights out, with a red flash light last night and counted 5 or 6 worms. I know they are not really bad for the tank but Ick they gotta go. I have read that some Wrasse eat them.

Picture??? Do I have pictures.....But I'll only post one!!! Not sure if he eats the worms... He had my daughtor cracking up this morn. Was coming out of the water to get prawn from my hand and making these smacking noises when he missed! She said he reminds her of a dolphin!

Carol

Thanks for the picture Carol. She's a beut.

Stumpy update : Turns out froozen food is a joke to him. Tossed in some Ghost shrimp and oh boy he likes those alot better. I think he'll eat till he pops. First feeding he ate 3 which I thought was alot given his size compared to the shrimp. His belly was bulging out alot. 2 days later I go to the LFS and the Octopus owner is working. We catch up alittle and tell him about Stumpy and I need some Ghost shrimp. He says how many? I say 4 (we'll see how big of a pig he really is) Well the guy hands me the bag with atleast 12 shrimp in it marked as 4. So I head home and dump 11 shrimp in the tank (1 went down the bathroom sink drain) with in 4hrs they are all gone!! Wow!! He is a real pig. I did see my cleaner shrimp catch one and eat it. That was grrruusoommm. With no real tools to kill with he just picked it apart, the hole time the ghost shrimp was trying to get away.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back