Hello.. need suggestions to get myself ready for an octopus.

James O.

Hatchling
Registered
Hello all,

Seems like a really cool community you've built yourselves here, so I decided it was about time I register. A little background about myself, I have kept birds, dogs, cats, and fish, but I've never really had any luck with fish. Last time I tried to set up a tank it didn't go very well.

Recently I've come to the realization of how much I like octopuses, and only through here did I stumble on the fact that people can keep them as pets and I've grown an interest in doing it myself.

It is plain that I lack the experience required to properly care for such a complex creature, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on what I SHOULD start with. My interests lie primarily in snails, hermit crabs, eels, and cephalopods. I kinda like fish, but I don't find them as interesting as the others I mentioned.

I was debating with myself if I should set up a freshwater tank with snails and maybe some fish, or starting off with a salt water tank with one or two of these guys http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+501+620&pcatid=620 ) hermit crabs, and whatever will go well with it.

What would be the best tank that would get me "ready" to properly care for an octopus?

Thanks

:welcome: to TONMO

It seems like FOWLR (fish only with live rock) are a popular way to get started with saltwater tanks, but that's just one of many possible routes...

:welcome: You could have a really interesting invertebrate salt water tank. Setting up a salt water tank would provide experience for you to prepare for caring for an octopus. You can also see if there are any public aquariums in your area that might need volunteers or if there is a local aquarium society.

SET UP

HELLO JAMES :welcome:
CHECK OUT MY STORE ON EBAY WILLAS SALT BOX, I HAVE ALOT OF SALTWATER ITEMS AND OCTOS AS WELL, JUST LET ME KNOW IF YOUR INTERESTED IN ANYTHING, THANKS
James O.;120351 said:
Hello all,

Seems like a really cool community you've built yourselves here, so I decided it was about time I register. A little background about myself, I have kept birds, dogs, cats, and fish, but I've never really had any luck with fish. Last time I tried to set up a tank it didn't go very well.

Recently I've come to the realization of how much I like octopuses, and only through here did I stumble on the fact that people can keep them as pets and I've grown an interest in doing it myself.

It is plain that I lack the experience required to properly care for such a complex creature, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on what I SHOULD start with. My interests lie primarily in snails, hermit crabs, eels, and cephalopods. I kinda like fish, but I don't find them as interesting as the others I mentioned.

I was debating with myself if I should set up a freshwater tank with snails and maybe some fish, or starting off with a salt water tank with one or two of these guys Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab: Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates ) hermit crabs, and whatever will go well with it.

What would be the best tank that would get me "ready" to properly care for an octopus?

Thanks

Hi James. As you know, you've come to the right place.

I would suggest starting with saltwater from the get-go. The first thing you're going to need to focus on is building your tank. You don't want to skimp on anything. The main things you'll need are a properly sized tank and a quality skimmer. Plan your rock layout accordingly, so when you can finally introduce an octopus, it can't accidentally smash itself or bust the tank. Hermits should be quite easy to start with and you won't have to remove them when you decide you can handle an octopus. I would suggest staying away from anything that won't be compatible with the octopus because it's not always easy to remove things from the tank without having to remove your rocks first.

Best advice anyone can give you is, be patient. If you have any questions and can't find the answer in the forums, ask. Someone will know and everyone's very helpful here.

Welcome to your new addiction. :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back