Hello I'm new, here's my story...

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hey there. I found you guys while looking for information on my new pet Octopus, Legs.

I'm a fishing Captain in Miami, Florida and Bimini, Bahamas. I 'll save you the boring details and get right to the good stuff, the octopus.

I caught my octopus in the wild about three months ago while pulling in our stone crab traps for the off season. I got one trap up to the boat and it was completely covered with what I thought where jellyfish at first. The trap was sitting on a grass bed in about six feet of dirty brown water. So I pull the trap into the boat and go to grab a 'jellyfish' a hand full and tried to throw it back over, well half of the blob left my hand while the half stay curiously stuck to my glove, and I mean stuck. Now I'm curious and take a closer look to find that it was thousands of tiny octopi!! Well I manged to get most of them back in the water and decide to keep a few and drop them in my 125 gal tank at home. Well I ended the day, came home and dropped six of the little guys into my tank and forget about them. Now I drop all kinds of stuff in my tank that I find some makes it some doesn't, but for the most part I have had a lot of luck over the years.
So about a month goes by and I'm feeding the fish in my tank minding my own business when out of no where a octopus comes shooting out and spreads him self on the glass right where my hand was as if to attack it. HOLY COW!!! I had completely forgot about that day I dropped them in. I never saw an of the others i dropped in there.
I now realize I am the proud father of an octopus. i jump on the net and start figuring out what I have gotten myself into.

So far he is about the size of my hand if he spreads out, he was about the size of a dime when i found him/her (i dont know). I feed him chunks of frozen minnow from a feeding stick. and he has become very social, he likes to play hide and seek, and follow the leader with my finder against the glass. I haven't touched him yet, I'm scared! THEY BITE!

I have two videos of him on youtube. forgive the quality I have a crappy camera and I'm trying to shoot with my left hand, and feed with my right.

My tank
DSCN0143.jpg

My Pus
closeup.jpg

DSCN0113.jpg

:welcome: to you and your octopus! It looks like a briareus to me...

Welcome to you and your octopus. It's really doing well!

Octopuses really like small crabs (favorite food) and shrimp, if you happen to have access to those.

You might look on the Journals and Photos forum for accounts of other O. briareus. Most people eventually make physical contact with their octos, and manage to do that without being bitten.

Nancy

:welcome:

Very interesting that they were clustered since O. briareus is known to be very cannibalistic. It makes me wonder if this is another difference between ocean life and tank life.

You are fortunate that Legs survived as raising them from eggs has been a challenge that members have not met in the last few years. It may be that Legs was just old enough to have overcome the initial new born issues we face with aquarium hatchlings. If Kalypso's life span was typical, you should be able to keep her (Legs is either female or an immature male judging from the positioning of the third arm to the right - SueNami keeps his very tightly rolled up) for 18 months (females may live fewer months and will likely brood nonviable eggs at the end of their lives for between 8 and 10 weeks). She will also likely try to escape as she ages (reference Kalypso's maturing - SueNami does not try but has eyesight problems) so careful attention to your top (or adding a top) is in order.

It would be very helpful if you would start a Journal for Legs. Entitling it with her name and species makes a useful quick reference.:wink:

Thanks for the info!!! I will start a Journal right away! The tank is sealed on top with 5/8" arylic and a hasp lock. The only way I see her getting out is going through my overflow and into my pre-filter canister, I found my hawkfish in there once. O. briareus you say...cool! I look forward to all the info we can share with each other.

I keep a course tight sponge in the overflow for Beldar's overflow. It does not have to go the full depth but should be very snug. If you use a short piece, add a long zip tie or something equivalent through the center to aid in retreiving it if it slides down. You will need to add rinsing it (I keep two and swap them) to your mainentance routine and be sure that it allows enough water flow so as not to overflow the tank.

:notworth: That's a great idea I'll give it a try....I remember years ago when I started with larger tanks and sumps I came home too a very soggy house, a 1/2 empty aquarium, and a very nervous cat. I forgot to clean my prefilter! :bugout:

Very nice octo and great story! I love Briareus. If your planning on keeping it in that tank, you'll probably want to get rid of the fish. I don't know if you mentioned it, but I just buzzed through the thread. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back