Hello;Iam doigresearch on extinct large squid.This must be the right place.

I was delighted to find such an informative site.The forums are extensive and very interesting.I am trying to figure a formula to estimate body size in relation to the eye in squid.I guess i will find the right forum to pose this and all my other questions.By the way when I have brought an octopus to the surface when fishing I always say hello and good-bye as I release them.

:welcome: The eye-to-size estimation sounds like a tricky business, since there's such a diversity in ceph eye sizes and shapes... I don't suppose you have any idea which modern squid families the extinct ones might be related to (from pen shapes, etc)?

You've got my attention too (and I'm with Mark, aka Monty on the eye size concern).

We did something recently with radula and ammonites (click on the link), looking at a wide range of Recent cephs to determine homology of past and present structures. A very interesting topic you have chosen!!! (And you may find ontogenetic differences within a taxon too ... you'll need some extant species, large numbers, fixed in a uniform manner to be able to draw something meaningful from what you are proposing.) Do tell more, please.

Extinct Large Squid Eye

Before I drop this bomb in the Cephalopod world, I need to explain my background:

I have a major in biology and a minor in art, which of course anatomy being a big part of both. I have very few bones in my collection. My focus has been preserved soft tissue. Most geologists and paleontologists would tell you what we all learned in geology: “Very rare, only in certain circumstances, very unlikely,” etc.

For the last eight years I have been finding this stuff in Mesozoic bedrock at sea level. Most of these materials were left-over from dinosaur feeding activity. Teeth marks are easy to observe, because the raptors seem to have been hard wired in this respect. These deposits are a global phenomenon, having collected material from every continent except for Antarctica and Africa.

This fossil image is only one of a-half dozen or so specimens from two different beaches in the same local. The other image is from the colossal squid dissection on the Tepapa.com website.

Please don’t kill the messenger! I can answer all questions from the critics, even though I am an amateur.

Attachments

• conv_295931.jpg
    conv_295931.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 127
  • conv_295932.jpg
    conv_295932.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 119
Are you getting any other evidence of marine fossils with these eyes, in addition to the apparent terrestrial (raptor) marks?

To answer Steve O’Shea’s question; Yes I’ve found a few marine fossils in a well-preserved 3-d condition but wasn’t focused on marine even though I was looking at beach outcrops which are Mesozoic deposits containing much terrestrial biological tidbits. I believe that some shores from the distant past received stranding’s from die offs and extinctions that were buried or what-ever at the k-t boundary and I am sure anything that died in salt water could still be with us.

I do however have a cut-off fin of something fishy a small tuna-like carcass bone-in.
When I figured out, what these semi-hemi petrified lenses were, I had a small Eureka Moment. I thank the vision scientists from Sweden for that one.

I have more pictures of well rounded rocks on slideshare.net.

The Secret Life of rocks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back