Registered
Now seems a good time for introductions

Hey Im mot and i am addicted plain and simple
I currently keep: Sub adult O.Tetricus
2 Sub Adult Hapalochaena fasciata
looking forward to learning as much as possible
one thing i have learnt already is MAN THEY SHED A LOT OF SUCKER DISCS

:cuttlehi: Mot,
We have another current O. Tetricus being journaled but I need to manually move the thread from the old site as it did not make the conversion journey (will work on this this weekend Haggs). We would love for you to include your experiences with this species in our Cephalopod Journals forum.

The blue ring cause a bit of a complication and can be journaled in the exotics forum but be aware that there are a number of cephs that are on our not for the average keeper list. Most of the animals there don't do well in aquariums, are losing numbers because of habitat decline and can't be tank bred or raised from hatchling. The blue rings are in this group but reside their because of the danger to humans (keepers and unaware visitors) of keeping them and the death rate (not the case in your position) that occurs in shipping them (estimates are 1:10 that survive shipment).

Sucker shed always causes a bit of anxiety on first observation. I have had several to use the Koralia's in the tank to aid the dead skin removal and will see clouds of the little disks flying when this happens. I have wondered is some of the interaction I have had with my non-lethal wards is also associated with using my hand to help remove dead skin as it often feels like a kneading touch where I can feel the suckers actively attaching and detaching.

Last edited:
Hey there :cuttlehi:
Ive been dip netting for shrimp all week and so far ive caught 10 blue lined and i suddenly dont feel as safe walking around in the sea grass
Tetty is settling in quite well and is accepting frozen food already with some live crabs thrown in for enrichment
im happy to be feeding the blue rings live shrimp and small crabs as im not really happy putting my hands in the tank

This is my first jump into ceph keeping but ive been keeping aquariums all my life and cold water marine tanks for the last couple
before i got tetty (O.Tetricus) i read as much as i possibly could many nights of lost sleep were spent bleary eyed not being able to take in enough information
My name is mot but everyone has been calling me Octomot because its all i want to talk about

Mot and Haggs,
I need to do a tips and tricks for the new forum and will include something about posting location when I get it done but wanted to mention that your profiles do not automatically display a location (@haggs, the old info did not transfer). It is really helpful if member will edit their profile (Personal Details)information and put something (at least continent, but country -especially if not US -, city, state/province is the most helpful) in the "location" box. One of the nice new features allows members to click on the location (when specified in some readable format) and see a map of the designated area. Click on my location (Gainesville, GA USA) to see the results.

Last edited:
I use the Same jar to thaw the fish food in when I feed the octopus and the fish everyday so this afternoon I put the food in the jar and left for about 2 seconds and in that time the octopus climbed up stole the jar and went back to its lair

I knew these guys were smart but i am amazed

Last edited:
Please don't tempt the blue rings to exit the tank. It is just too easy to forget not to touch them or have one end up in the wrong place. Roy, who has handled them in the lab for years, has very strict rules on who can enter the lab and requires two students to be present when they are allowed to work with the animals, commented about one not quite making it into the aquarium during acclimation and helping it in with a push from his hand. Only realizing seconds later what he had just done and thankful it was the mantle end that was closest. These creature are so mesmerizing that it is easy to forget they are deadly and one of the reasons we do not advocate keeping them as pets.

Seriously keep in mind that if a goldfish jumps out of its tank and you step on it, you lose the fish. With a blue ring, the results are not so simple. We have had enough reports (including two of my own) of octopuses leaving their tanks and being found well away from their glass homes. One incident was in the middle of the night, in the dark, during a bathroom run. It is just too easy to take these little guys for granted and make a fatal mistake. The fact that we don't have more fatalities is likely because they are not typically an aggressive species but note that Roy has recently kept a species in the lab at Berkeley that was quite aggressive.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back