Hello from Canada/Japan

Gordman

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hey everyone,

Just found this awesome site and had to join. I'm in the tail end of the 3rd year in my undergraduate marine biology program at Dalhousie (Halifax, NS) and am currently on a work-term in Japan (Okinawa), and am a huge Cephalopod fan. I intend to do my masters and PhD on something with either cuttlefish, squid, or octopus. I was born on Vancouver Island in British Columbia and have always had a fascination of the pacific red octopus. I would love to get a tank setup and started but with me finishing my undergrad and moving elsewhere potentially so I will have to live through everyone else's tanks for now.

Thanks for all the hard work and great resources here! I've been enjoying all the scientific papers that are posted, and can usually download them if anyone needs the pdf.

Cheers!
Gord

:cuttlehi:Gordman! We have a number of student members, ranging from high school to PhD researchers (as well as several that have finished their PhD s as members). Be sure to watch the Education and Employment forum as you progress and start looking for your next marine adventure. Of particular interest, have a look at @Taollan's new lab (his announcement post has disappeared twice since the forum upgrade but there is a link to the new lab here) . At the top of the linked thread, is a list we try to keep current of potential universities offering marine studies. Feel free to add Canadian offerings as well as any international opportunities you discover. Two of our Canadian members are currently studying in New Zealand (@Heather Braid and @GPO87) being advised by a third (@Tintenfisch - of US origin but NZ now home). Internships are sometimes noted in the forum as well.

Thanks for the offer on PDF's where the access is, more often than not, a subscription service. I have tried to note the links that have open access and would happily modify any that have a full resource link where the originally discovered paper is subscription only.

There is also a list of linked articles authored by TONMO members that may interest in the Octopus Den forum in the Member's Publications thread.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Super excited about all the amazing resources and information here. I'll keep a lookout for graduate study opportunities and research potentials. And unfortunately have not had any exposure to nautiluses via Canadian education system. More than interested in learning as much as possible though! And hopefully start up a tank when I get settled down for a few years for grad school.
Cheers!

Denise,
It depends on where it was collected. I don't know how much temperature acclimation can occur in a single individual (although that is something I am going to test). They are reported to occur from Southern Alaska to Central America, but I doubt ones collected in Alaska could ever acclimate to Central American temperatures.
That being said, I think you could get away with temps up to about 58F sustained for anything collected in Oregon (if you are thinking about purchasing Stu), and anything coming from Washington I don't think I would do much more than 56F. For comparison, I am keeping mine at 52F over the summer/fall, dipping down to 50F over the winter.
I hope that doesn't sway you off the species... :smile:

@Taollan,
Thanks! My biggest problem is keeping the tank cool in the summer. I can't afford to keep the house below 80 in the summer and I am not sure my chiller will compensate (or end up costing a small fortune on top of our already high electricity bills). I may try putting the chiller on the larger tank (still need min tank size recommendation) this weekend just to see how it does but I am leaning away from trying to keep one.

When I was keeping a coldwater tank, I could not find a ruby to save my life, now that I my chiller is aging and I have a larger tank to use, Stu can get them :roll:

Last edited:
Oh nice! I grew up in Ladysmith which is a town about 30 minutes outside of Nanaimo. Then moved to Nanaimo for a few years afterwards. I know quite a few people that did their undergrad studies at UVIC. Super nice place. Also was fortunate to get out to a summer class in Bamfield on crustaceans. Such an amazing place

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back