Hello from Adelaide!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by daviddickinson, Aug 18, 2012.

1. daviddickinson

daviddickinson Blue Ring Registered

Hello all,

It's kinda a second hello as I joined the forum quite some time ago - but in the last 4 weeks we have emigrated to Adelaide in Oz from the UK so I'm just saying hello from a different hemisphere. I'm still crazily interested in all things oceanic and especially the larger squid and fondly remember staying up late watching the colossal squid being defrosted - now I'm a bit closing to NZ, might be able to plan in a holiday to come and see it :grin:

Hope everyone is well, oh, and I wondered what people were thinking of all of this renewed interest in the deeper parts of the sea with James Cameron, Richard Branson and these new subs, etc - reckon there is any chance of getting one of these over to the Ross Sea sometime with some toothfish bait? :wink:

Or is it all just publicity?

Best,

Dave

2. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Welcome for the second time! haha. Hope your move from the UK went smoothly. And yes, I would definitely suggest you take the opportunity to come see the Colossal squid now that you are a bit closer to NZ! :lol: It's definitely worth it!

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

A certain squidologist :oshea:(borrowed from Kat) was recently in an adventure with another certain honorary TONMO squid authority :drk: in a giant squid adventure involving immersion in several of the deepwater subs. Not a lot has been published yet and I am guessing they were not able to lure one of the big guys into photo proximity since no such news was announced but Discovery will air the adventure later this year or early next.

4. daviddickinson

That is beyond awesome! So pleased to hear that efforts are being made! Surely the Holy Grail of oceanic encounters? Thanks for sharing :)

5. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

:welcome: to the southern hemisphere! If you come to Dunedin, look me up. Our Aquarium is sadly closed to the public right now (earthquake risk with a rather decrepit building!) but I might be able to give you a two cent tour of the lab and studies centre. Hopefully the aquarium will reopen some time next year (fingers crossed!) J

6. daviddickinson

Thanks! Certainly will, once my bank account gets over the shock of emigrating and I get a job, we'll start planning some holidays and NZ will be high on the list!

7. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Welcome down under.... you are also close to the front door for the giant Cuttlefish, if you don't dive or snorkle it could be worth learning how to. Many hours could be spent enjoying their company.

DWhatley likes this.
  8. mucktopus

mucktopus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

Welcome! I'm jealous of your proximity to Sepia apama!

9. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Welcome again!

Greg