Hello form Dublin, Ireland

Bullfrog

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi to all the forum members, I have been keeping native marine fish and cephs for about four years now and following a successful hatching of 10 Sepia spp this summer I have been steadily moving out the lobsters and making the main display for the cuttles. I have about six hundred gallons of seawater aquaria with a pair of two hundred gallon tanks for a pair of Bluemouth rockfish and eventually four of the ten cuttles. The remaining six cuttles are destined for the Oceanworld aquarium in Dingle, Kerry. I work in the marine fisheries sector and as I live by the coast so food availability in the form of shrimps and crabs is abundant. Im looking forward to reading about the more exotic species being kept and also I hope to share my experiences of my charges with you. Kind regards, Declan

Bullfrog,
If you have time to share, please journal your cuttles, both the four you keep and, if possible, the six that go to the aquarium. We rarely get to see much of the bigger animals so photos of their progression would be a special treat!

tonmo said:
Welcome Bullfrog, thanks for joining!!
How do I do this? I would like to say hi as well I'm new here and have just added an octo. Into my system I've had running for over a year, I have no idea what kind he is and would like to post pics but am unsure of how to do anything but this, comment and update my profile etc, also when editing my aviator it won't let me drag the box? Any ideas for me Ty

Well that's for all the welcomes. I am hoping that its Sepia elgans that I have but if they are officinalis I will just have to get a bigger tank for them. I am taking plenty of photos and notes as they grow and despite a heavy inking from moving them into a lager tank late last night, all is well and feeding heavily on adult crangon shrimps. It's amazing to see the upper pair of tentacles being used as an attractor similar to the fishing lure used by the angler fishes with flashing colouration to simulate a worm when the crangon are placed in the tank. Is this common? I will attempt to put up some photos over the weekend but focusing has been an issue due to their size. I have some good video clips of feeding in action which I will have a go at loading up also.

tonmo said:
Welcome Bullfrog, thanks for joining!!
Ty,
To start your own topic (vs making a comment on an existing)
Click on Forums in the top menu
Click on the forum name in the list (in this case, Introduce Yourself)
Click on the blue button at the top of the page labeled New topic
Type a title where the cursor first appears (to the right of the "no prefix" drop down selection)
Move the cursor to the main idea box (where it says. "Write Something" ) and type your text.
Click the blue Post button.

It looks like you figured out that your avatar needs to be sized and centered before uploading.

Here are some additional tips on using the forum: http://www.tonmo.com/forums/forum/o...en/339178-2013-forum-software-tips-and-tricks

A big welcome to the site! You're raising some interesting cephs, and we look forward to hearing more about them and seeing photos and videos.

Nancy said:
A big welcome to the site! You're raising some interesting cephs, and we look forward to hearing more about them and seeing photos and videos.
How come my posts from my profile go to page not available? I have put pics etc to try n find out what type of octopus I have. It's a hider for sure set up a den w/ shields from beaf daylight then I'm running 2-4 blue bulbs and 6 dim nightlight LEDs at night. If you can see my pics let me know. The octopus is maybe 7" in all. W/ a 3" head/mantle, w/ a purple blue spot w/ green/yellow on it as well. I was told only, that it was a Caribbean octopus from the guy at the saltwater fish shop. I am not sure if it's a one/two spot or other dorf octo. It seems to hide a lot but is visible for the most part. It comes out to eat and will skim along the rock n' sand for a bit then go back into its den. The first octo I saw at his shop looked similar but was attaching to rock then pressing off to another part of the aquarium. Though this one looks similar it has never really swam around the aquarium to my knowledge. It just seems to scale the rock/sand/and glass. But primarily stays in its den. I wanted to know if this was perhaps a different kind of octopus or if I need to change something in the environment offering alternative food/toys etc. I have been feeding crayfish and it has been eating snails that were in the tank and a few of the 100+ little hermit crabs as well. Any advice for me and little Gyro? Ty

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back