Hello cephalophiles!

Maggie

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
So happy to have found y'all! :biggrin2: I find myself here after reading "The Soul of an Octopus" and becoming completely smitten with octopuses. Nary a salt water fish tank of any sort to my name. So give me a year in salt water tank stewardship and maybe I'll feel competent enough to host an octopus. We'll see.
After a few months I'll be in a position to get a salt water tank of my own so in the meantime I'm gathering information. Thank you chipmunkofdoom2! I just got home from a local-ish salt water fish store, came on here and chipmunk has recommended the same website for a beginner that they did: 52 Weeks of Reefing series by Bulk Reef Supply :) I've got my work cut out for me and I certainly appreciate all the help I can get.
See you around!
:octorun:

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
:hugs:
Welcome! Always great to meet kindred spirits; I'm also tankless. Start with some live rock; cycling the tank makes for a better habitat in any case! But do stick around; you'll get better advice from the resident experts -- and the Search function is your friend!
:welcome:

Maggie

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm traveling with my family to California in a week or two, Silicon Valley to be exact. And OMG Monterey Bay Aquarium is only an hour and a half away!!! :pbjt:We're so going!!! :pbjt: Can ya tell I'm excited? I'm using dancing bananas and everything! I wonder if they'd consider a meet and greet with their Pacific Giant... I'll have to contact them. Squeeeeee!!!!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
:cuttlehi: Maggie! Very jealous! I have yet to visit MBARI. I am sure they will have a GPO but don't know what kind of behind the scenes tours are available.

Maggie

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Monterey Bay Aquarium was great. All Octopuses were in hiding... Except for the Pacific Giant! He/She was parading around the tank today to the delight of the surrounding crowd. What a sweetie to flaunt his/her stuff while we were there!

Got to see some crazy cuttlefish and nautilus as well. Those cephs, I tell ya, what a wild bunch.

I never got a response to my email requesting a meet and greet at Monterey. But I have since found that the Denver Aquarium has a meet and greet with their Giant Pacific Octo on a regular basis! What a dream come true that would be ☺photostudio_1533683350336.jpg