• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hello and comments!

softmick

Cuttlefish
Registered
:welcome:
Firstly I would like introduce myself! I am Keith aka Softmick from Oldham, just outside Manchester in the sunny UK!!

I have previously kept octopuses in the past and after a couple of years have decided to go back into keeping them.

I currently have a 100 gallon (US) tank with a 50 gallon (US) overtank sump with a wet dry filter, miracle mud and mangroves.

Additional filtration is:

2 x 1500 lph external filters
1 x 400 lph external filter running rowaphos
2 x internal power filters
2 x internal powerheads
1 x airstone in sump? return (i use a "?" as is sump the correct word for an overtank setup?)
1 x 8w Pond UV (Chose pond for the highly LPH rating)

All internal power head and filters have mesh guards to stop inquisitive tentacles and all inlets and returns are housed in a corner wier setup with small slots to allow throughflow and to stop octoloss.

All other areas of the tank are securely sealed with glass lids which can be securely locked into place. The last octopus I had (O. Vulgaris), in my opinion had attention defecit disorder and would get a tentacle through any available gap and literally wave to get my attention!

Current (and stable for as long as i have been recording them) Paramaters:

Nitrate, Nitrate and Ammonia: 0
SG: 1.024
Phosphate: 0
Iron: 0
PH: 8.4
Copper 0

The tank has plenty of live rock and PVC pipe hidy holes and I have many jars and playthings on standby for when the little guy arrives.

I have ordered and am anicipating delivery of a Bimac next friday and would appreciate any advice or comments on any ways I could benefit my new arrival.

Sorry its longwinded but wanted to be as detailed as possible!

Thanks in advance and hope to speak to you all soon!

Keith

Welcome to Tonmo! It sounds like a great setup you have there...be sure and post some pictures when you get a chance to.

greg

:welcome: I forget what the "octopus personality types" list some researcher compiled for O. Vulgaris a few years ago included-- I know there wasn't one called "ADD" but there may have been one that was "extrovert" or something like that...

Welcome Keith!:welcome: Cap'nNemo is UK too, and there are some others too, Neuropteris, and Scouse (I think) and probably some more that I can't think of at the moment. Any way, happy to have you here. It's so nice to have someone join who already knows what octos need!

sorseress said:
Welcome Keith!:welcome: Cap'nNemo is UK too, and there are some others too, Neuropteris, and Scouse (I think) and probably some more that I can't think of at the moment. Any way, happy to have you here. It's so nice to have someone join who already knows what octos need!

How 'bout Colin and Phil, for starters...

Thankyou all for making me feel so welcome!!:oops:

As soon as my tank has its chosen inhabitant I believe i will becoming extremely click happy with my camera!:razz:

Expect MANY photos soon!

Hi Bob, I have been keeping fish of one kind or another for over 20 years and of that I would say marines for around 15.

I have previously had two octos, one I would say around 10 years ago and the other around 4 years. Through sheer good luck my original octo was around 4 inches when I got him and lasted for over 12 months.

The second one was a lot larger and although he aclimatised really well he stopped eating afer about 7 weeks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back