• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hello all!

Hello all,
I am brand new to this site and am looking at getting a octopus as a pet. This particular creature is out of the ordinary compared to most pets, but to me it seems such a great thing.

Now I have been wondering as to what species of octopus I should get. I know that the Blue Ringed Octopus, Mimic, Wonderpus is way way out of the question, but I am looking for a "beginner" one. I have been looking at a Bimac and Vulgaris. Vulgaris are supposedly way bigger than the Bimac and really don't know what size both of them can get up to. If there are other species of octopus that are great for a beginner I would really appriciate it if you would tell me.

I have been studing about what the octopus should have. I was wondering if you could check my list and see as to what else I need for it or remove something that is not needed.

Glass Aquarium (Of course)(Depends on the species)(How big though?)
Reverse Osmosis unit
Synthetic Sea Salt
Fine Sand
Protein Skimmer
Heater
Thermometer
Mechanical Power Filter

Now I know that Cephalopods eat things like crabs and shrimp (Apparently you can give them a goldfish as a treat accasionally?) but how much would that cost for a crab or a weeks work of food? Just wondering because I heard it can get a bit expensive when feeding them.

If there are any other tips or advice that you would like to share that would be great.

Thanks very much for reading,

Kraken Hammer :sink:

No goldfish or other freshwater fish from a pet store. The pet stores routinely use copper to treat all freshwater fish when they arrive. Even a small amount of copper can be lethal to an octopus (in spite of the fact that their blood is copper based).

Welcome to Tonmo !

Yep, never feed freshwater fish to your octopus. They aren't that expensive to feed unless you get a real finicky eater.

Greg

:welcome: to TONMO!

For first time octos, briareus, bimac, hummelincki, and aculeatus seem to all do about equally well.

What's up hammer? The list you made is more of a generalization of the equiptment you need for this type of husbandry. IMO you should set up a 75 gallon because it will allow you to house a couple of "begginer" octos or should i rather say smaller like briareus, bimac, or an abdopus. Feeding my briareus isn't as expensive as i thought it would be and definately isn't as expensive as new bandensis (dwarf cuttles). If you know a good amount about marine aquaria i suggest you setup a 75 reef ready with nice sized sump and refugium. I'd have a skimmer rated for at least 150 gal. and mod it if you can. It's also EXTREAMELY important to "ceph proof" your tank. Research some threads and you'll see various techniques to ceph proofing lids, powerheads, downpipes or overflows. Oh yeah, welcome to TONMO!

Cool thanks guys. I think I might start off with a Bimac. Are you able to keep more than one in the same tank if it is big enough? Just wondering cause I dont want to find one feasting on the other.

Thanks again.

Kraken Hammer

With the exception of mercatoris (Caribbean dwarf) raised or found living together and bimacs that were raised together from the same brood, we have yet to have a successful journaled attempt at keeping adults together. However, the attempts have been limited. The journals of mixed species have all been failures but there are very few attempts of same species because the risk of predation is high.

For the most part octos are kept one to a tank, and aside from a clean up crew (hermit crabs, snails and brittle stars) some starfish and non-stinging corals, it's really easiest if you dedicate your tank for octo only. It eliminates so many worries that way!

Ah ok. So with regards to the tank is it recomended to have it small but big enough to to be able to move around or can I have a huge tank? Just wondering because I dont want it big enough that it wont be able to find or get its food.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back