• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Heavy Breathing

CHolland

Cuttlefish
Registered
First time octopus keeper (for less than a week). I have been reading other threads that have mentioned heavy breathing as a warning sign something is wrong.

At what point is the breathing considered "heavy"? I can see his siphon open and close and his mantle slightly rise and lower, but I'm not sure what the standard is for heavy or normal breathing. Are there other warning signs I should keep an eye out for along with his breathing? He does have dens (he has made several) and does eat at least one large, live shrimp a night.

Thank you for your help!

Sorry for the horrible quality, I can't get close enough with my phone under regular lighting without spooking him. He is still acclimating.

I should add, this is a typical example of his breathing. Its a little (but not much) more intense when he's hunting or if my two year old gets a little excited and runs up to the tank too fast. :smile:

Attachments

• VID_20170517_202418.mp4
    16.4 MB · Views: 141
I can't tell anything from the short video. Trying to define "heavy breathing" is a challenge. My first attempt would be to say if you notice an octopus breathing without intentionally staring at the gills then stress is a suspect. I would prefer to give you a breaths per minute number but can't. If the breathing is noticeable for the better part of 5 minutes, I would (in addition to testing the water for ammonia and nitrite) suggest a water change and make sure that your pumps and water movement equipment are helping with the CO2 to air exchange.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back