• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Heater

D.Quail

Cuttlefish
Registered
I have a 125 gallon set up waiting for an O. Briareus. Right now it does not have a heater and the resting temperature is 72. I will have to place a heater inside the tank because I am running an FX6 filter instead of a sump. Are there any suggestions in keeping the octopus from touching/messing with the heater?

How cold does the house get in winter? If your ambient room temperature does not fall below 72 at any time then I would not bother with a heater. It is very difficult to keep octopuses away from heaters and they have no concept of anything so hot as to burn them (something Jacques Cousteau noted in his filming with live torches). If you need to heat the water in the winter my best (but not cheap) suggestion would be to use an inline heater (something like this) on your filter tubing. Having never used one, I am not sure if placing it on the input or output side is best for the filtration pump but would think the more gradual temperature increase achieved by putting it before the filter would be better for the animal.

I like the Hagen heaters. I have used them for many years and they are special because they are in a plastic cage, which offers some protection. They are also more reliable than other heaters I’ve tried.
But they aren’t suitable for your set up.

Nancy

How cold does the house get in winter? If your ambient room temperature does not fall below 72 at any time then I would not bother with a heater. It is very difficult to keep octopuses away from heaters and they have no concept of anything so hot as to burn them (something Jacques Cousteau noted in his filming with live torches). If you need to heat the water in the winter my best (but not cheap) suggestion would be to use an inline heater (something like this) on your filter tubing. Having never used one, I am not sure if placing it on the input or output side is best for the filtration pump but would think the more gradual temperature increase achieved by putting it before the filter would be better for the animal.

The air usually stays at 72, so I’ll peobably be okay then. Thank you for the input!

This is the heater I used. It was not on much when I had an O. bimaculoides in this tank, since it likes lower temperatures.
I’m not sure this one pictured is large enough for your tank.

Nancy

This is the best I have seen but put a temp sticker on your tank and monitor it. If your house does not get below 72, your tank will likely stay between 75 and 78 (depending upon the heat from your pumps).

Okay I will! I’m so excited to get another. I had a bimac as my first one and he was phenomenal. This is the setup right now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 86
Love the layout but do think about adding a few more true hiding places, where you can't see the octo and it has a dark cozy spot or two to den and feel safe.

IME, the never pick the spots we make "perfect" for them as a den. Big caves are not usually their choice, they will seek an opening just big enough for their mantle with no room for predators. Some of mine have chosen places with a second entrance/escape where others have preferred a single opening. You might also think about a few small light rocks or shells (thumb nail to thumb sized) to be used as a door.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back