Hazardous Material (HazMat)

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Hello all, I think this might be the place to put this.

I am cycling a tank, for about a month thus far, and, of course, picked up a Red Sea maring kit. It currently had 5 tests; Amonia, Nitrite, nitrate, Ph, and lastly Alkalinity. I am aware that pouring chemicals down the drain is dangerous in high levels and concentrations. But as I was admiring the test kit, I read the 'A' bottle for the nitrate test. It reads:
"Contains: Cadmium Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed. Very toxic to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment. This material and it's container must be disposed of as hazardous waste. Avoid release to the environment. Refer to special instructions/Safety data sheets. DANGER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

I would just like to know who among you uses Red Sea, and how you handle and dispose of this stuff.

Thanks!

Felix (El Gato!)

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
YIKES!!! :shock: I've never used this product......but yes cadmium is nasty stuff.......one of the heavy metals! Maybe contact your local city dump and ask if there is anywhere to get rid of the stuff.

J

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I believe most cities have places for citizens to bring hazardous materials and enviromentally unfriendly materials such as batteries, computers, etc.

Nancy

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I think you're talking about the municipal dumps. I'll have to check into that. Thanks! I think I am also going to check out the EPA website.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
there are often toll-free numbers and such; I think in California, the counties provide resources on this sort of thing-- in LA, there are specific drop off places that are only open once a month or something. You can also call whatever company/utility picks up your trash; our local one will pick up some sorts of exotic stuff if you let them know before trash day, but I'm not sure if it works for hazardous waste or just "not normal trash" things like washing machines and furniture and such. They could probably tell you what you can do with stuff they won't take, though, at least up to a point.

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
DHyslop said:
Oh just dump it in the river.

That's what people do with their used motor oil here in Rhode Island

:goofysca:
That's why cooking water comes preseasoned, right out of the tap! :lol:

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
i need cuttle said:
i hear the local school cafaterias need something to give the food a lil kick
I'll do my best, but the way I remember cafateria food, nothing would help!

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Thanks Monty, I'll do that Monday. I am keeping the test water, and rinse water in an empty salt container. I figure I have quite some time before it needs to be taken away.

joefish84

Sepia elegans
Registered
on that note you know that mixing those chemicals is even worse than letting them sit seperate because they produce piosonous gases that can kill you very quickly.

(around here, south carolina, we put that stuff in our homemade drinks called moonshine in order to slow the blinding effect of the country made rum from a galvanized drum or bath tub!)

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Perhaps I'll to rethink my entire approach to storage.

That's why I feel so good when I open the containers?!? JK!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CommonCuttlefish

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards