Having Trouble With My Cuttle Eggs... Help?

rmsinc

Cuttlefish
Registered
I HAVE ABOUT 20 CUTTLE EGGS IN A 55GALLON TANK INSIDE A BREEDERS NET. THE TANK IS AT 14 DEGREES CELCIUS AND I HAVE HAD THE EGGS NOW FOR ABOUT 4 TO 5 WEEKS. WHEN SHOULD THEY HATCH? HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE ABOUT TO HATCH? I HAVE BEEN CARING FOR THESE LITTLE GUYS NOW FOR A WHILE AND I WOULD REALLY HATE TO LOSE THEM. PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY BABIES....

:welcome: to TONMO

HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN THEY ARE ABOUT TO HATCH?
You should be able to see little cuttles moving inside the eggs.

I got a bad batch from Paridise Pets once, even though I never saew the little cuttles inside I still left the eggs in my tank until I saw that they started to deflate then I gave up on them.

20 CUTTLE EGGS IN A 55GALLON TANK INSIDE A BREEDERS NET
That seem like alot of eggs for a 55. a tank that size is only suitable for 3-4 cuttles.

WELL WE HAVE A RETAIL STORE SO THEY WOULDNT BE HOUSED FOR VERY LONG IN THAT AQUARIUM. SOME OF THE EGGS HAVE ALREADY "DEFALTED" AND I SEE WHAT LOOKS LIKE LITTLE COTTON LIKE BALL IN THE NET BUT NOT SURE WHAT THEY ARE.

WELL WE HAVE A RETAIL STORE SO THEY WOULDNT BE HOUSED FOR VERY LONG IN THAT AQUARIUM
Ohhh that makes more sense, cool.

Not sure what the cotton ball thing is, maybe dead cuttle remains.

Have you ever used copper medications in that system? This will kill them, as the copper bonds to the silicon then slowly seeps into the tank and will kill cephalopods.

unfortunaley it may just be a bad batch of eggs. every now and then this happens.

Thales or resident cuttle expert mayhave soem more advice but its not sounding good to me.

NO WE HAVE NOT USED ANY COPPER IN THE TANK AT ALL THIS WAS A NEW AQAURIUM SET UP JUST FOR THESE LIL GUYS. I STILL HAVE ABOUT 15 EGGS THAT ARE LOOKING TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE BUT I'M NOT SURE HOW THEY WILL DO. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP THESE GUYS OUT WHILE STILL IN THE EGG. ANY FLOW RECOMINDATIONS? I HAVE ABOUT 800 GALLONS AN HOUR MOVING THROUGH THE TANK NOW USING A WET DRY FILTER.

A light flow is recommended across the eggs, but not so much that they are bouncing around inside the breeder net. I dont think there is much you can do other than ensure the water parameters are correct and wait. I forget the exact gestation period, but hopefully thales will be along soon to fill us in.

What species of cuttle?
Since you are in the states, these are probably S. bandensis eggs, and if so 14C is too cold - 26C would be more appropriate. I would suspect that a tropical egg kept at temperate temps for 4-5 weeks would be not good for the viability of the eggs.

sorry for the caps lol. im not sure of the species of cuttle they are. when they were shipped to me they were brought in from the phillipeins. i have a chiller to keep the temp at a stable state. what else can i do for them.?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back