• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Having trouble keeping new born cuttlefish alive!

new pics:

mysid tanks:

They are alive and not eating each other, it seems the brine shrimp as mysid food is working. Place a small number of mysid in the 10 gal tank with a heavy food sorce to see if they will live and breed. :snorkel:

Attachments

• conv_298096.jpg
    conv_298096.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 172
  • conv_298097.jpg
    conv_298097.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 180
new photos

New cuttlefish babies! Photos taken while doing the acclimation process. Trying not to stress them out.

Attachments

• conv_298098.jpg
    conv_298098.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 170
  • conv_298099.jpg
    conv_298099.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 165
  • conv_298100.jpg
    conv_298100.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 177
  • conv_298101.jpg
    conv_298101.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 202
more pics

of cuttlefish and tank used for holding:

:snorkel:

Attachments

• conv_298105.jpg
    conv_298105.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 169
  • conv_298102.jpg
    conv_298102.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 169
  • conv_298103.jpg
    conv_298103.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 159
  • conv_298104.jpg
    conv_298104.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 133
Floating cuttles is thought to be related to a nutrition problem - not enough food. Maybe. They could have air bubbles in the mantle (not in the cuttlebone), but not likely that they all do.

If you look at the enlarged photo of the plastic breeding tank from above you can see what I am talking about. So The larger 1/4 " babies I just arrived are already starved to death before I got them. I haven't seen any of them eat yet! So then it is best to start with eggs that are ready to hatch instead? The photos above are of the one I just got they seemed healthy looking to me. How about everyone else?

Well, things are looking up. The mysid shrimp are doing great, not eating each other instead of the food I am providing them. One of the live cuttlefish babies in the photos above survived the whole shipping ordeal. One new hatchlings is looking well and the other eggs are on the way. It seems to me that the best way of getting this type of cuttlefish is by eggs. They travel better and acclimate better due to the protective egg shells. During the hatching process they become use to the water conditions of the tank you are keeping them in, so it is best to keep them in the main tank that you intend to keep them in and not move them.

No one has ever reported a case of 'butt burn' in S. bandensis, and it occurring in a hatchling seems like a very very unlikely event.

Thales;175239 said:
No one has ever reported a case of 'butt burn' in S. bandensis, and it occurring in a hatchling seems like a very very unlikely event.

That would be true it the newly hatched cuttlefish had the same issue, the ones having the issue are 1/4 inch in size and were shipped after they were born. They are rough here with packages. My first order of eggs came completely scrambled. My problem is they are so small I can't seem them well enough to see damages and nothing I can do about it anyway. At one point I read years ago that if the cuttlebone get cracked or damaged that it can cause this problem. If it happens again I will keep the body and and make sure it isn't but burn related.

There has never been a report of butt burn in S. bandensis of any age including the 100's I have shipped. There are several reasons that they cuttles might have become floaty, but I wouldn't bet on any one of them without actual evidence.

Well, lost all the live shipped cuttlefish babies. They all arrive with floating butt issues and died of one by one over 3 days, never noticed them eating anything. 3 eggs just hatched and they have lived longer than the live shipped ones. They are about 4 days old hanging on the bottom of the breeder net. They haven't started eating, that I can tell. They have 5 live mysid in the net with them and I am checking them on and off all day to see if any are missing. Time will tell. The mysid tank I started is doing very well I just order 100 extra shrimp to add to the mix.

Still alive and eating when I am not watching. All 3 are still alive they seem to be eating but I never see they eat, the shrimp just vanish in the night. The other cuttlefish I order seems to be doing will in it's tank set up with cooler water. 2 days old and much more active already bigger than the dwarfs but close to the same size. fun times

Sad day:frown: To day found 2 of the 3 dwarf cuttlefish dead in the breeder net, They are smaller than the one still alive so it must be the one eating. I am not sure what is going on except I am getting my RO water from a different store than I use to in the past. I had them test and I tested the water for copper and found none. I will try the clean out the 29 gal tank and go get water from the old place I get it from in Dayton to see if that makes any difference. Also, the larger type cuttlefish was dead this morning as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back