• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Having trouble keeping new born cuttlefish alive!

is there anything else in the net with them....maybe add some chaeto or something. if its just them and the net is empty, maybe they are stressed

I have a little bit of sand (not much). They like to crawl up under the net and hide. I raised cuttlefish twice before without issue until the were 6 months and 12 months. The only thing I can doing different is using a different source for water and increase the temp to around 75%. That and keep the dwarf type this time. I am completely stumped.

Well, just for safety sake I have dumped and cleaned a 30 gal tank and started it with premixed RO water and salt from the store in Dayton that I used in the past and got lots of extra water for adding to the tank as needed. This is how I did it the first time with no losses. That way I know the water is good it has been cycled by the store already and I will let it filter for a awhile and start testing to make sure it isn't out of bounds on anything. The other eggs I order a while back should be in in a few days, or I would have stopped at this point. But! they are coming and I dropped a ton of money on redoing the tank for them. Wish me all the luck in the world! I will keep you updated.

Just to let you know the mysid tank is doing grate! They seem to be breeding. Haven't had much loss except for old age of the shrimp. Funny how things work out in life.

Good Luck Man! I hope everything goes well... I'm the opposite. 7/9 eggs hatched doing well and my mysis are all dieing :roll:

Kerrick;175726 said:
Good Luck Man! I hope everything goes well... I'm the opposite. 7/9 eggs hatched doing well and my mysis are all dieing :roll:

Order 100 for 20 and put them in a 1 to 2 gal tank with an air stone. don't add any extra water unless it is from your cuttlefish tank. I add newly hatched brine shrimp for them to eat every few days so they don't eat themselves.

Thanks

Attachments

• conv_298166.jpg
    conv_298166.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 117
I have changed out the water on the 30 gal and the 29 gal and used it to make the outdoor saltwater pond to free up the tanks. They are ready for the new eggs when they get here the mysid are on order weekly 100 per week for 5 weeks; to start. The eggs should be arriving at the fish store in 1 or 2 weeks. Everything is set up the same except for the water source this time is out of Dayton. Using the same set up that worked in the past for 2 to 3 years.:shock:

new eggs

Well got in 5 dwarf eggs today, put them in a breeder net in the tank. Still waiting to hear on the larger cuttlefish eggs. Mysid will arrive Friday to help keep the breeding stock alive.:cuttlehi:

I had the same problem with floating hatchlings which died afterwards. Mine were kept at a salinity of 19 ppt at the store I got the from and I'm sure that's the main reason they didn't survive. The store received them as eggs and they hatched soon afterwards.

C-Y Lin at euroceph had a nice poster explaining the environmental factors affecting pharaonis hatchlings.

Can't find the actual poster abstract but he has part of that work here:

small amounts of copper in the water

I think the water issue may have been one of 2 issues I was having. My first batch were hated in a tank of the good water but not fed the correct food so they died at 2 to 3 weeks old. Then I found a closer place to supply RO water now that I had the correct food but they just kept dieing off! I noted that when the tank would get low on water and I added more then someone was dead the next day but not all. Had 5 lost 4, still have one of the 2nd batch, started using the Dayton RO water again for water changes and fill ups. It seem to be eating well but only when I am not watching. They vanish in the night and I add more in the day. It still like to hide under the plastic bar between the net and the support rail. The new 5 eggs are in a clear plastic floating breeder container. I can see the babies inside the eggs. Should hatch, from the size of the babies in the eggs, in about 1 to 2 weeks. More food on the way weekly. :read:

Sole survivor + 5 eggs

The process of elimination on fixing this kind of issue sucks and the critter is the one who suffers! But until we can find a proven way to identify watch kill cuttlefish this kind of thing is going to happen. I think it is copper but the copper test showed no copper ( at home and in the stores) but when I use the same test on my water at home it come up ok (but I have copper plumbing). I am told the water running though the pipes is enough to kill a cuttle but the tests on the marker don't seem to be accurate enough to detect a fatal dose of copper in the water for cuttlefish. I went to the local pet store and found that they has copper plumbing running to the RO filter but it tests clean. Old filers, who knows? Take my advice go look at the plumbing of the place that gives you RO water and make sure for your self. :madsci:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back