Have you ever eaten octopus or squid/calamari?

manny

O. bimaculoides
Registered
grilled octopus with ouzo (kind of like sambuca) is my favorite but of all the places I had it nothing can come close to the way they make it in Greece but even there you have to find the place that still buys them local not frozen from Egypt
Calamari is good
For the first time in Crete last year I had stuffed cuttlefish this thing was amazing
I used to cach my own octopus beat it on a rock for 1/2 an hour ( thats how you get it nice and soft) and take it home to my aunt to cook it for me when I was a kid durring summer vacations in Greece but since I started keeping them as pets 3 years ago I cant get myself to kill them but I still eat them

a rabid squid

GPO
Supporter
i love eating squid, octo is ok, but cuttlefish is my favorite. ive only had cuttlefish a few times because i think theyre too smart to be harvested in huge quantities, but catching a few is good. squid, however are probably the best to harvest because of the sheer amount of them.

pipsquek

Wonderpus
Supporter
I have had squid, octo and cuttlefish. The best was bbqed cuttle in Thailand. The worst was also in Thailand. Squid Jerky :yuck: :yuck: My traveling partner loved it, and nearly made me puke on the 2 hour taxi ride back just by opening the bag every 10 minutes for another handful. Second worst thing I have ever had in my mouth, the worst being pure rose oil (don't even ask me to remember that one).

Speaking of which, those of you that are going to make it to the Monterey TONMOcon will be delighted, or digusted, to know that one of my chef friends has offered to give us a menu at his restaurant of nothing but squid. That particular restaurant sells more squid than any other in the US. They have 12 different preperations on the menu and sell something like 6 million pounds a year!!! :shock: :shock:

sorseress

Colossal Squid
Supporter
In Nice our family ordered pizza Nicoise. You eat what the locals eat,right? When it came the pizza was covered with little tiny whole baby octopi, no bigger than quarters, including the diameter of the tentacle spread. I think every one of us felt slightly ill, they were so darned cute, but manfully, or womanfully, as the case may be, we pressed on and ate the pizza, rubbery whole baby octopi and all. I WILL NEVER AGAIN EAT OCTOPUS! I feel so guilty! Sob, I'm a cannibal!

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Hmmmmm i wonder if steve has any sample worthy archi flesh come this summer....... i might be willing to try it if theres something to wash it down with... (and something nearby if it boomerangs)

of course customs might have issues with bringing animal parts into the country.....

DoubleBill

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
o good grief, why do so many people get such a charge out of eating things that taste like chicken?! I never was too big on chicken myself, except for a short buffalo-wing phase. But that was only cuz of the sauce.
Anyway, I've been vegan for a couple of years, now.

DoubleBill

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Oh, and I must say, as fascinated as I am with all of these creatures, and as devoted as I am not only to the promotion of veganism but even, if lacking that, a kosher diet, I don't tend to be viscerally appalled by the thought of people eating them... with one exception: those who talk of eating cuttlefish! That one definitely trips the "how-could-you?!!" trigger in my limbic system. After seeing all their delightful social behaviors, including with humans, the beauty, the grace, the cuteness, the sense of thought processes going on--right up there with pigs and dogs and cats, I say... just like looking at a picture of an Asian market with a cage full of cats. Can't hate on the people cuz I know they're not being malicious & I don't actually equate the animals with people, but sheesh, y'know?

freddieMax

Hatchling
Registered
Hi friends!

I'm from Italy and I don't understand anything about acquarium...
BUT in my Town ( southern part of Italy, called Bari) we eat raw octopus and cuttlefish and peoples like them very much.

http://www.laterradipuglia.it/ing/puglia.htm
http://www.viamichelin.it/viamichel...ion=bari&strCountry=612&image2.x=0&image2.y=0

For this reason I'm thinking about a new kind of breeding: octopus and/or cuttlefish.

Surfing on the WWW i reached this site today and I would like to ask you some help about this business idea I got.

There are some other exeprinces of cuttlefishes breeding ?
Do you think is it possible?

We pay about 30 US$/Kg for fresh octopus!!! My be a good business I think.

I do not mean any harm...

Thank you.

freddieMax

Hatchling
Registered
The most delicious octo (and in great demand) are about 0.5 kg each.
The most delicious cuttlefish are about 0.1 kg ( very little).

Could you help me in understanding something more about breeding?

Do you think it's better I open another thread?

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
My addiction is rubbing off on coworkers! We sent to lunch yesterday at a Chinese buffet and I'm sitting across from one of my coworkers and notice this tentacled arm sticking out from under her chicken. I asked what is that on your plate? She replied octopus, after I took it and sat back down, I hid it under my chicken so you wouldn't get upset! Turns out they had a whole pan of baby octopuses on the buffet. Where do these come from? Do they come in live? Anyway, became quite a discussion at our luncheon! And she never ate it.

a rabid squid

GPO
Supporter
i was just in spain and ate cuttlefish or shark every night and had octopus a few times. cuttlefish are my favorite pets, and my favorite food. it was better because they usually dont have it in the US.

DocFrye

O. vulgaris
Registered
Are any of the commonly kept pet species of octos tasty or even edible? I eat a lot of sushi, and tako is one of my favorites.

Castor

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
Hi all, have been away but now I'm back! I have had both, being a former squid (navy sailor) I have been all over the pacific, and have had no problem eating anything that comes from the sea. I've always been in the aquarium hobby, but after I began keeping octopus, Harvey, Henry, and Ella, I feel uncomfortable eating our ceph rulers. Any other animal is fair game, except crows. They are just disgusting, kinda taste like chicken that's been marinating in dumpster water.

Scouse

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
I :heart: PULPO AN PULPO :heart:'S ME!!!

cant beat a good tapas with a mountain of good quality pulpo

with a plate of calamari thrown in of'course...did you ever doubt!!! :razz:

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
I had a friend who once picked up a dead pigeon (fresh) after it had killed itself flying into his office window, brought it in, cleaned it, cooked it in the microwave and ate it for lunch. I think he was trying to prove a point about pigeons not being as diseased as everyone says... but the point got somewhat overshadowed by the way he went about it. Don't think he actually suffered any ill after-effects either, although, come to think of it, I haven't heard from him in a while... :roll:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elaina Rose

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak