Hate mail for like-minded conservationists

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
SHF2:

I'm sure Einstein's comment about the destructive potential of applied physics and his "complicity" in the endeavour was sincere; on the other hand, he readily assented to Leo Szilard's request that he use his influence to warn FDR of the very real threat posed by the Third Reich's own pursuit of fissile munitions. Ultimately, Eisntein, Szilard and (especially) Niels Bohr embraced the idea of complementarity: science, embodied in the Bomb, provided the means by which nations and individuals might destroy one another, but also yielded a deeper understanding of the inter-relatedness and mutual dependency of things. The "stuff" of nuclear weapons is also the stuff of life.

Perhaps the ideal of "social responsibility" should be junked as a goal. After all, whose society is really at issue? Seems to me that social responsibility is just a slightly more palatable term for an agenda that is still, at its root, deeply anthropocentric: preservation for our sake.

WhiteKiboko: A case can be made for imposing a few societal constraints every now and then, if only to encourage the development of approaches and techniques that do not require the exploitation of extant organisms. On one level, the current leaps being made in the medical applications of genetic research and computer modeling have been driven by the social injunction against experimentation on living human beings, giving science the means to observe and predict the actions of living systems without destroying them. Far from "crippling" science, the injunction against human experimentation has bred ingenious approaches leading to profound changes in both theoretical and applied science, with not a little social introspection emerging as a happy by-product. Sometimes, a little "no" leads to a big "yes."

SHF2: Thanks for starting this valuable conversation.

Clem

kaharoa_spy

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Humungous Squid? Nuh - not at all appetising.

Prodigious Squid - has a certain ring to it.

MEGASQUID -now we are talking!!!

Who said yours is bigger than mine? My Websters is about 5" thick.

I'll have to delve deeper into this matter.

R. :)

Reaction score
SHF2,

You hit the nail right on the head. Most people have a complete misunderstanding of what science is, i.e., they consider it as either good or evil. Science is a systematic search for empirical knowledge, and therefore has no inherent ethics. That's both a strength and a weakness depending on how you want to deal with it from a philosophical standpoint. Science can show us how to build a nuclear weapon; ethics will determine whether or not we use it.

In the end, its all about personal responsibility and ethical and moral views. In the end, we choose the path.

Sushi and Sake,

John

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Thought it be yee R! Welcome to TONMO :D

Mine is the Collins Dictionary and Thesaurus (in one volume even). It's only 7cm thick, but it's in real tiny print (it's not the same as the other picture books they have on Kaharoa)! I think it's better than yours :madsci:

There seem to be several debates happening around us right now - we're sandwiched. Have you just been off northernmost NZ doing the seamount voyage?

Cheers ears ....

Sorry everyone else, I'll get back to my original post soon. Am ever-so-slightly losing the plot at this end.
O

kaharoa_spy

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
UBER-Squid sounds a bit grave for this purpose.

Seeing as these things seem to hang around New Zeland waters (at least soome of the time) how about "wheke whakaharahara"

Excuse me if this is a bit of a heath robinson translation but my Williams Maori dictionary is only about 1" thick!!

The Spy!

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Bald Evil said:
I would also pay to see a shark fight a gorilla.
the gorilla wouldnt stand a chance....unless it was Grape Ape (from the cartoon) as for the uber issue, shouldnt it normally have the dots (cant remeber the name, and yes i know they a pain to pull up)

prodigous squid does have a nice ring to it, but then again so does KibokoSquid... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tginsbu

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan