Happy 10th Anniversary, TONMO.com!

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by tonmo, May 22, 2010.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Hey everyone - May 29, 2010 marks TONMO.com's 10-year anniversary. Cool, right?

I had actually reserved tonmo.com in 1996, but I was publishing my content on an Earthlink page for whatever reason. From 1996 through May 27, 2000, my site was... well, sometimes called the "tonmodome" and it was basically my own blog. I talked about my interests in giant squid on a couple of occassions but it was mostly about random stuff. My Silverfish article from 1997 was pretty popular. :smile:

Then, on 5/29, TONMO.com as a cephalopod interest site was born.

I sort of blogged about cephalopods for a few months, highlighting news, and even syndicating my content blurbs on Dr. James Wood's cephalopod site. With that syndication and also some very excellent search engine placement, people started visiting TONMO.com regularly. I began answering "letters to the editor" which are still available on TONMO.com. The site contents were divided into the following categories (a couple links provided):

Site Contents
    Current Issue
    News Archive
    Article Archive
    Site Reviews
    Letters to the Editor
    Kid's Corner
    Image Archive
    Shopping on the Web
    TONMO.com Store
    Message Board
    About TONMO.com
    / / / / O \ \ \ \

Before we had Forums, I used a guestbook (remember those?) to let people introduce themselves and sign into our directory. It's fun to see entries from eventual Staff members such as Colin and Nancy.

Our Forums were firmly established around 2002, with the "Octopus' Den" being a memorable place to hang out and have general cephy fun. I experimented with a few different pieces of forum software before settling on today's vBulletin software in 2003.

Today (as we know) we're a vibrant community and arguably the best cephalopod destination on the Internet.

THANK YOU for 10 years of cephalopod discussion, collaboration, research, and information-sharing.

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

:band:

Yes, Happy Anniversay TONMO.com!

I didn't realize I was visiting the site in 2001! Do I remember correctly that there was no ceph care forum - basically all posts were in the same forum? We've come a long way.

Thanks, Tony!

Nancy

3. esquid

esquid Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Happy Tonmoday!! :tentacle:Thank you sooo much for this site:tentacle:

4. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG] Wow! Happy 10th! :octorun:

This site is amazing and without a doubt the best Ceph site! I cant wait to see all the great stuff you have in store for us!

[​IMG]

5. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Happy 10th TONMO, 10 great years:notworth::notworth:

6. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Hey,

We should have a toast on May 29th (maybe D. can break open her bottle of Kraken...) - congratulations Tony!

7. tonmo

Thanks all! Congrats to you as well!

Nancy - you are correct - there was a very rudimentary message board script -- it was just one forum with very basic functions... but it was enough to get us off the ground!

CG, I'm in... and I've got an (opened) bottle of Kraken for it...

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Finding a job is not a tangible reason to open mine but the other reason was a common TONMO toast so I'm IN - what time do we "shoot" for?

9. snowmaker

snowmaker Vampyroteuthis Registered

Happy 10th!
    To one of my favorite sites.

I taste-tested last night, but will gladly join you next Saturday. :smile:

10. tonmo

Sounds good - we'll have to settle on a time (it's always 5pm somewhere, right?), and we'll do it virtually. We can take pics (hmm, or even a quick video?) of our toast and quickly attach them to this thread. I'll be having a Kraken & Coke.

11. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Yipee :party:

12. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I'm game for the video linkup :smile:

13. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

10 years! Congrats! May the next 10 bring equally exciting cephalopod discoveries!

14. robyn

robyn Vampyroteuthis Supporter

wooooooooooooooooo!!! Thanks Tony for a great site!

15. tonmo

Not sure I can pull together a synchronized video stream but let's at least commit to having the toast on Saturday, May 29th, and posting a pic of it here. If we do, it'll be a good (classic) thread!

16. ckeiser

ckeiser GPO Supporter

Happy decade, TONMO!

Tony, you've brought a wonderful thing into existence and I don't think we could thank you enough! Cheers.

17. tonmo

Thanks ck! We need OB to come back to Philly so we can have another digestif at Mahogany's.

I appreciate the comments. Believe me, the pleasure of 10 years of TONMO.com has been all mine. This site wouldn't be much of anything if it weren't for all of you who visit and contribute, and all the above-and-beyond contributions offered over the years by our Staff.

I was looking at the 2001 guestbook again -- Jean and Tani were in there also... classic!

18. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Ten years eh?

What a huge amount of stuff has happened since then!!! Look at how many members have come and gone, the number of cephalopod keepers and all the good work done to try and share information about the beasties we are all so interested in. I wonder just how many octopuses and cuttlefish have lived a better, longer life by their owners finding their way to this site? It was always so much fun to be involved in an area of the home aquarist hobby where almost everything we experienced was brand new and much of it previously undocumented.

On a personal note... ten years ago I was 24, no kids, no Mykela, totally different job, different town.... what a change!!!

So, here is a big thanks to Tony for giving us TONMO.com and for all the great people I have met through the site (many of them in real life) and a big hello to all my friends over the world!!!!

Here's to the next ten years!

Cheers

19. tonmo

There is nothing awkward about putting Kraken in your coffee. Happy Anniversary TONMO.com!

:party: :coffee: :archi: :cheers:

Attached Files:

20. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Yay! Happy birthday TONMO!

TONMO was a major part of my life for a very long time and I learned so much over those years. It changed the way I look at octopuses and really opened my eyes to what a wonderful group of animals they are. And run by such a bunch of really nice, friendly and knowledgeable people.

Here's to another ten years! I wonder what it'll bring? Living colossal footage? Soft bodied ammonites? I expect we'll all be in 3D by then, and much greyer and wiser.

Cheers and thank you Tony for making it all possible and to the wonderful contributors who have given up so much of their free time to make this a great website.